Rich-text Reply

Adding visitors to custom (click) dimension and viewing the data on dashboard

csantos 11-21-16

Adding visitors to custom (click) dimension and viewing the data on dashboard

I have a multi-page experiment set up and wanted to add visitors to a custom 'Added to cart' dimension that I created. The experiment is also tracking click goals on 'Add to cart' buttons on page 1 (original & variation #1) as well as page 2 (original & variation #1).

When viewing the results of the experiment, I noticed a significant drop in unique visitors when switching from my 'All visitors' segment to my 'Added to cart' segment/dimension (viewing the click goals for add to cart).

Here's the All visitors:all_visitors.png

And here's the Added to cart:

added_to_cart.png

Since the 'Add to cart' click goals run across all variations of each page, shouldn't the number of unique visitors be the same for both the 'All visitors' AND the 'Added to cart' dimension? Perhaps my API call isn't bound correctly to the clicked element(s)?

The experiment variations on both pages are using html, css, and js dynamically rendered in the code editor; i.e. I have used jquery to replace existing content with experiment content, css, and js.

Here is my API call for the experiment pages. The selector is unique for each experiment page and I opted bind click tracking to a dynamically created element.

$('html').delegate('[new content selector with unique id]', 'mousedown touchend', function() {
window.optimizely = window.optimizely || [];
window.optimizely.push(['setDimensionValue', 'add_to_cart', 'Subscription added to cart']);
window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "sendSegmentData"]);
});

This is my API call for the original pages:

$('[existing content selector]').click(function() {
window.optimizely = window.optimizely || [];
window.optimizely.push(['setDimensionValue', 'add_to_cart', 'Subscription added to cart']);
window.optimizely.push(["trackEvent", "sendSegmentData"]);
});

Are these calls bound to their respective elements correctly? If so, what is causing the drop in unique visitors that are part of the 'Added to cart' dimension?

The intention is to gather data on visitors that convert by click on 'Add to cart' buttons and to see which version of the page generates more clicks and ultimately orders fulfilled. The dimension was created to narrow the view on visitors who specifically clicked on an 'Add to cart' button.

-csantos

Level 1

Brian_Abad 11-23-16

Re: Adding visitors to custom (click) dimension and viewing the data on dashboard

Hey there,

Thank you for your question! It looks like users would only be part of the Dimension if they trigger a certain action. So there is more of a filter in place for the Dimension as compared to being counted as a total visitor (which requires no action other than being part of the experiment). To me, the numbers make sense that they would reflect less visitors counted towards a segment that requires action versus a total view of all visitors.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding!
---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely
csantos 11-23-16

Re: Adding visitors to custom (click) dimension and viewing the data on dashboard

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought at first too, but when viewing the 'All visitors' segment and checking the click goal for the add to cart button there, that should reflect the exact same numbers as a narrowed-down 'Added to cart' segment with the same click goal and the same tracked elements, right?

i.e. looking at all the total visitors who clicked any add to cart button on any variation on both pages should be matching the number of of users in a segment specifically viewing who clicked on any add to cart button on any variation. 1 unique visitor clicks on an add to cart, means 1 push to the 'Added to cart' segment and 1 'Added to cart' unique visitor should be counted as the same unique visitor who activated a click goal under 'All visitors'?

Level 1