Rich-text Reply

Best way to detect that the url target is the landing page

miguelm 04-21-16
Accepted Solution

Best way to detect that the url target is the landing page

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I need to set an experiment for all users whose landing page is the step1 of our booking proces, so I think in two ways to do this. but I don't which is better;

1) Use an audience persistent based on the rule  "Referrer url is not my domain", so if the visitor enter in the url target and is not coming from other page of my domain, will be bucket in this segment.

2) Use an audience persistent based on a Cookie, "If the user has no our 'acceptCookies=true' " (which is created when the user the first time in in our page), will be bucket in the landing page segment.

Thank you, best regards!

Level 2

DavidS 04-22-16

Re: Best way to detect that the url target is the landing page

Hi miguelm,

Thanks for reaching out!

Both audiences conditions would work. However I'd prefer the cookie approach as the referrer can be modified and is sometimes not always accurate.

Setting up a cookie on the visitor's browser when they land on Step 1 of the booking process should be more than enough to tell Optimizely to bucket visitor into your experiment. Please note that the Cookie audience condition is not available on all plans.

If you don't have access to the cookie audience setting, you'll have to use the referrer URL targeting option.

I hope that is helpful. Feel more than free to reply back with any additional questions at all.

Best,
David

Optimizely
miguelm 04-29-16

Re: Best way to detect that the url target is the landing page

Thank you Davids!
Level 2