Rich-text Reply

Creating a goal for based on variation

morny 12-08-14

Creating a goal for based on variation

I am trying to create a goal in optimizly.

I have a product page product.php where someone selects a product via a radio button.

That POSTS the data to the cart page. There are 3 variations plus the original one so 4 variations in total. The data is posted something like below cart.php?id=277 There's just 3 id's so lets say the ids are 277,278 and 279 Now i have created the variations without issue. I now want to setup a goal on the cart.php, the goals will be: Product 277 added to cart Product 278 added to cart Product 279 added to cart But essentially there will be 12 goals because there will be: Product 277 added to cart via original Product 277 added to cart via variation 1 Product 277 added to cart via variation 2 Product 277 added to cart via variation 3 Is there a way to do this with the custom goal or is it only possible via the API?

Level 2

greg 12-08-14

Re: Creating a goal for based on variation

When you create a goal, it gets tracked for every variation in that experiment. So if you set up three goals (Add 277, Add 278, and Add 279), they will be tracked and reported for each variation. You do not need to set them up individually for every variation.

I hope this addresses your question. Let me know if I misunderstood something.

Level 2
morny 12-08-14

Ok but here is the issue.

Product.php has 4 variations setup. Each version has a radio button with 3 products. In each im trying to see if the wording on the radio buttons gets a higher selection. For example

Variation 1
Product 1 - Highly Recommended
Product 2 - (No highly recommended text and also smaller font)

Variation 2
Product 1 - 10% discount
Product 2 (normal price)

And so on for the variations. So i have 4 variations here but i dont have any goals to track on this page. The page i want to track the goals on are the page they are taken to when they select a product and select add to cart.

So on the cart.php page (which has the same URL regardless of the product as the product id is sent as $_POST data) i want to then create a goal for

product 277 Variation 1 (This user came through variation 1 on the previous page)
product 277 Variation 2 (This user came through variation 2 on the previous page)
product 277 Variation 3 (This user came through variation 3 on the previous page)
product 277 Variation 4 (This user came through variation 4 on the previous page)

product 278 Variation 1 (This user came through variation 1 on the previous page)
product 278 Variation 2 (This user came through variation 2 on the previous page)
product 278 Variation 3 (This user came through variation 3 on the previous page)
product 278 Variation 4 (This user came through variation 4 on the previous page)

So i am trying to create the goal based on the page they came from and the item they choose not the current page.
Level 2
greg 12-08-14

[ Edited ]

Once a visitor is bucketed into a variation, any goals they reach will be associated with with that variation. Even if the experiment is on a different page than the goal. So you do not need to create duplicate goals for every variation.

If cart.php has a unique parameter (such as ?id=277) based on which product was added, then you can create three pageview goals as follows:

Goal 1: Add Product 277: Pageview on cart.php?id=277
Goal 2: Add Product 278: Pageview on cart.php?id=278
Goal 3: Add Product 279: Pageview on cart.php?id=279

On the test results page, you will see how many times each of your four variations led to a goal, and which goal. It will look something like this:

Variation .. | .. Goal 1 .. | ..  Goal 2 .. | .. Goal 3
-----------------------------------------------------------
1 (original) ........ 3 ................. 8 ............. 19
2 ....................... 5 ................. 4 ............. 49
3 ....................... 8 ................. 9 .............. 20
4 ....................... 4 ................ 12 ............. 52

If the URL does not change at all (not even the parameters), then you can have three custom Javascript goals (one for each product) where you evaluate the $POST data.

Level 2
Brian_Abad 12-08-14

Hey @morny ,

It looks like @greg has you covered on the suggested goal implementation here. Just to piggy back a bit more on what Greg had stated - once a user is bucketed into an experiment we drop a cookie into their browser which holds which experiment and what variation they were served. Then, whenever triggering a goal, we read this cookie to know where to attribute these conversions to.

Is there anything else here that needs clarification or did Greg cover all bases?

Thanks!

---
Brian Abad
Manager, Technical Support
Customer Success
Optimizely
morny 12-08-14

Thanks guys, this helped resolve my issue

Level 2