Dynamic Content, Behind Corporate firewall, multiple war files, deep-link
I am software developer at Capital One. My team and I are trying to incoporate optimizely into our enterprise web-application. We are encountering problems loading the page in the iFrame. We have a handful of potenial reasons why the application is not able to load:
1. Dynamic content
2. Behind coroporate firewall
3. Various instances of deeplinking
4. Multiple war-files
5. Dynamic URLs
I am looking to find a subject matter expert or some resources that can help me resolve this issue. I have tried the following link, https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/2001
It's difficult to tell whether you can run Optimizely or not on your application. The best way to go about it is file a support ticket and go through the process with them as they can help you directly by going in and looking at all the potential issues. That was how I got past the same issue you are having. However, a couple things that come to mind to try if you haven't:
1. Make sure you have whitelisted Optimizely if you have security precautions for iframes
2. Use this browser extension to ignore X frames and try to load again in Optimizely
Hope that helps a little.
Digital Marketing Manager - mindbodygreen
Optiverse User Group Leader - NYC
/agree with @danielpeskin
I presume you are able to access your site from your desk, in which case firewall related concerns are not the issue - everything runs client-side ( <iframe src="your url here" > runs locally and you can access the URL locally so it will pull it in unless it is not allowed to do so).
When you pull up the page in your DEV environment, if you see the network request for Optimizely succeed (status 200 in the network tab of your console) then it should work in the editor and the issue is likely with your site settings (disallowing framed content, etc. which should be expected for any banking site).
Analytics and Testing Guru