Rich-text Reply

How can I track Quantity of products per purchase, in addition to Revenue?

Sergei_Kogut 08-21-14

How can I track Quantity of products per purchase, in addition to Revenue?

I'd like to track not just toal number of conversions and revenue, but also how many items each order contained.
Should this be a custom tag, an event, or something else? Can this numeric value somehow be pushed within the same snippet with the revenue? 
We're on a Gold plan, and so don't have access to Dimentions.

VP of Marketing at FSAstore.com
Gary 08-22-14

Re: How can I track Quantity of products per purchase, in addition to Revenue?

Hey there!

This is a great question, and while the straight answer to this is 'no', we have some hacks that can get this to you. The best way to get this data may just be through your own internal system, but we can try something here.

1st Hack:

Use the 'eventName' in your Revenue goal to pass a value:

<script>
window.optimizely = window.optimizely || []; window.optimizely.push(['trackEvent', 'eventName', {'revenue': valueInCents}]);
</script>

The 'eventName' here could be a number. The problem is, you'll now need the Optimizely RAW data for your Revenue to retrieve this, which is only retrievable from a request to support.

That said, you could now manipulate this field to match logic you write on your page. Say there's 1 item -- make eventName '1item' and have a custom event goal for '1item'. If there are 2 items in the cart, have the eventName '2items' and set up a custom event goal for '2items' and on and on. If you have an average cart size of 3 items, then doing this for 10 or even 15 items shouldn't be too much trouble and will have this information available to you on the fly, on your Results page.

What do you think?

- Gary
Optimizely - Turning the World's data into action
Optimizely
DuncanC 09-22-14

Re: How can I track Quantity of products per purchase, in addition to Revenue?

[ Edited ]

Hi

We looked at doing something similar - i dont think you can have to two data points within a single goal event, but you can just create another goal to work alongside it...

You could perhaps create a goal to fire on your reciept page, for example using a JQuery loop to either count the number of products listed and pass this value back in the usual manner, or sum each line quantity if you want to track the total number of 'things' ordered rather than just the number of different lines in the order (i.e. 5 widgets + 3 covers for same).  If there's things like insurances etc that you wouldn't want to include, you could use a conditional statement with a Regex to ignore them.

Assuming you have a receipt page that would support this (would need to show an order summary by product) you could then have your usual Revenue goal plus an OrderQuantity goal which together would give you what you need.

Hope this makes sense!

Level 2