Rich-text Reply

How do I exclude 42k ip-addresses from an experiment?

henrikbaecklund 02-08-16

How do I exclude 42k ip-addresses from an experiment?

Hi all,

I have 42.000 ip-addresses that I need to exclude from my B-variation. How might I achieve this?

Joel_Balmer 02-08-16

Re: How do I exclude 42k ip-addresses from an experiment?

Hi @henrikbaecklund

Here's the different scenarios related to filtering a user:

• IP filtering, here, is where you remove certain IPs from showing on your results. They will be removed from the results regardless of which variation the user has shown (also, the character limit is 1500 so if you are trying to remove 42 thousand IP address, you will either need to be very clever with creating your regular expression, or you will simply not have enough characters to do this).
  • You can exclude certain users from the experiment, but not a specific variation, with the audience feature, here (see IP address section). This regular expression will also have a similar character limit, and this audience will have a 'timeout' i.e. if the audience couldn't evaluate within a given time (within 2 seconds I believe), it will not allow the user in (unless the user was already bucketed before)
  • You can assign the user a variation using the API, here.

However, as you describe it, it sounds like you're trying to override the nature of randomly assinging visitors a variation which can cause trouble for the validity of the results of your experiment.

I hope the above information helps you work out which path will be best for you!

Re: How do I exclude 42k ip-addresses from an experiment?