Rich-text Reply

Insanely slow upload timesto CDN

plac3bodk 01-07-16
Accepted Solution

Insanely slow upload timesto CDN

Hi there

I'm having really big issues with the CDN

When I save something it often takes several minutes to upload to the CDN even though it's only 1 line of code.

I've been tryin to add a parameter to URL's, but not sure if I've done it correctly, so I'm trial and erroring.

But this seems like Mission Impossible when I have to wait like 5 minutes every time I make a change and save.

This is occuring more and more often, and even though I really like working in Optimizely, these issues are making me consider switching to another testing software.

hv 01-07-16

Re: Insanely slow upload timesto CDN

had the same problem today
hv
Level 2
Amanda 01-07-16

Thank you for surfacing this issue. I have notified the team and someone will be in contact shortly.
Optimizely

Thank you for letting us know @plac3bodk and @hv.

We try and do the very best we can to ensure that our systems and our parters' systems are running as quickly and effeciently as possible. We haven't been able to spot anything out of the ordinary after monitoring our logs.

@plac3bodk, I looked at your project and was able to make a save within 30 seconds. These long saves may be related to a specific node of our Content Delivery Network taking longer than expected when it comes to uploads.

While we use a few of the fastest and most robust Content Delivery Networks in the world, we unfortunately cannot guarantee the quickest save times as our CDN partners mostly control that. With that said, we are always looking to understand our customers' issues and improve, so I have passed this along to our Engineering Team.

I hope that helps to clarify what may be going on, but please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. I also recommend keeping as "lean" a project and Optimizely snippet as possible - being sure to archive experiments that aren't being used in your Project Settings. For more info on this, feel free to take a look at this Optiverse Acadmey lesson. I hope that helps!

plac3bodk 01-08-16

Hi Derek.

Thanks for your quick reply.

The specific test that made me post this, was that I tried to add a URL parameter to a shops category pages, to sort products by price instead of position.

/* _optimizely_redirect=http://custom */
/* _optimizely_evaluate=force */
    var _optly={redir:document.createElement("a")};
    _optly.redir.href=window.location + '?order=price';
    window.location.replace(_optly.redir.href);
/* _optimizely_evaluate=safe */

But I got it to work.

Usually it's not a problem, but in some tests where I need to save/test alot, it can get really frustrating.

But anyhow I'll keep on testing  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the extra context, @plac3bodk. There's no reason in particular that code snippet would cause longer saves, so it may have just been our CDN's node taking a while to update . We'll keep on trying to make it as fast as possible from our end. Thanks again for saying something!

plac3bodk 01-12-16

Anytime @_DerekHammond

Just glad to be able to help shed some light on the issue.
I noticed that the slow upload times often happen in the afternoon (GMT +1), so the CDN might just be a bit overloaded.

Had a little delay on the upload times yesterday, but besides that I haven't had any problems since I posted the original post.
hv 01-12-16

I'm waiting since 26 minutes right now for a small change to be uploaded...

hv
Level 2
hv 01-12-16

actually the upload seems to have taken place. just within optimizely the notification isn't updated and still counting the minutes. other issue. not too tragic. Smiley Wink

hv
Level 2

@plac3bodk, thank you for your response and for trying it the other day. I'm glad to hear it seems to be working better.

@hv, that is certainly odd that that is happening. If you find that the "uploading to CDN" status is consistently still persisting after a refresh of the page, please let us know and we can take a closer look at that. 

We'll continue monitoring this and doing what we can to improve the times. Once again, we really appreciate you mentioning something.