I have a project on which I am working, and every once in a while the browser decides to freeze and I get a "tabs not responding prompt" which lists any optimizely related tabs.
- I make no deliberate interaction with the page other than moving my mouse over the window
- The entire browser freezes and I continuously get prompts from my browser stating optimizely related tabs are not responding. This locks the entire browser from interaction. I am not able to switch tabs. I am not able to use the browser.
- It does not matter whether I'm using Chrome or Firefox, and this has persisted across many versions of both browsers.
- If I have a variation preview window open on a browser in which I'm not editing, both browsers will freeze. Ex I'm editing in Chrome, I see it has frozen. I then go to firefox, go to any optimizely related preview tab and that also browser freezes.
- If I wait multiple minutes. The browser unfreezes and I can continue work normally.
- This behavior happened on multiple different experiments with completely different code.
- I have seen it freeze as I hover over text in the Variation Code editor and the editor looks as though it's chugging to highlight stuff, but I am unsure if this is related. This is not the only case where a freeze happens.
I don't really have a hypothosis, and any of these observations may be coincidence and unrelated, but It is quite frusterating to have a perfectly productive editing session and have [seemingly] random multi-minute interruptions in the dev process. Any thoughts?
UI Developer @ Blue Acorn
It happened me couple of times before and resulted -as you said- in an infinity loop or just an uncaught exception.
1. Open the target page of test in a browser windows (i prefer Chrome)
2. Right click and Inspect Element
3. Go to Console (keep it open)
4. Append at the end of the url of the target page this code to force variation ?optimizely_xEXPERIMENTID=VARIATIONID (ex. http://yourtespage.com?optimizely_x123456789=1)
5. Your page will reload with the variation
6. Check out console log and verify if there is some exception message (something is wrong with the variation code) or if theres an script with numbers constanly adding (loop)
If that still not help you. Try to add us the variation code and the console log to identify which could be the issue.