Rich-text Reply
Highlighted

Track a form submission on contact page if user land from your targeted experiment page?

apoorv2003 05-30-19

Track a form submission on contact page if user land from your targeted experiment page?

[ Edited ]

I created an experiment for a page (test/landing) in that test on my #variarion1 I added a link.
If a user clicks on that link and goes to (test/contact-us) page and fills the form successfully.
How can I track this through optimizely?

JasonDahlin 05-30-19

Re: Track a form submission on contact page if user land from your targeted experiment page?

[ Edited ]

Hi @apoorv2003,

Short answer, yes, but you probably don't want to (and it will likely require some DEV work to make it happen)

Let me explain.  For this, I will presume there is more than one way to reach Contact Us and that submitting the form takes the user to a Thank You page.

If you experiment takes users to a landing page that contains a link to Contact Us and your variation contains an additional link to Contact Us, when you measure the raw number of Thank You pages for users that are in the experiment, you will be able to see the impact of your treatment. This is preferable to measuring only the users who clicked the additional link because the mere presence of that element may encourage users to take action and they happen to take action on the original link. Also, if a user enters on the landing page then visits the rest of your site and uses one of your site's Contact Us links, the experiment will also consider those as conversions (which it should, because the additional exposure on the landing page may have encouraged them to use the Contact Us form later in their visit.

Now to answer your question a bit more directly...

To measure "page 3" of a funnel (the Thank You page) where you are only including "page 1" in the experiment (the Landing Page), you would need to make the experiment pass something unique to the Contact Us form which the Thank You page would also contain so that you can set up a Success Event based on the existence of that attribute.

For example, the link to Contact Us could include an additional URL parameter, like "/contact-us?foo=bar" and the Contact Us form would need to recognize that parameter and persist it into the Thank You page's URL, like, "/contact-us-thank-you?foo=bar" which you could then use to set up as a page-view based Success Event that would ONLY track users who clicked the link that added the parameter to the form.

If your form does not use a new page for Thank You, maybe it does a form POST and merely places the Thank You message on the existing page... well, then you are going to have to set your Success Event to the "submit" event on that page. To do this, you'll probably need to ask your developers to add a trigger that fires only if the form passes validation (you don't want to track users who click submit and didn't fill it out!).  With this in place, you can set up a Success Event that listens for that trigger which runs on "/contact-us" and records all of the form submits.  You can set up an additional Success Event that listens for that same trigger on "/contact-us?foo=bar" which would then only record the form submits that came from your test's link!  So now you can measure total impact (the regular Success Event) and the variation's link's impact using the FooBar Success Event.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy

Experimentation Hero
apoorv2003 05-31-19

Re: Track a form submission on contact page if user land from your targeted experiment page?

[ Edited ]

Hi, Jason thank you for the reply.
Your reply is correct and I understand that. I think I already have 80% of the thing explained.

What I have:
1) I already have a query string in the URL appended if the user is coming from the experiment.
targeted URL for experiment(test/url) ->  Link(this click is on both original and variation1) -> (test/contact?opt=true).
2) I also have the form success submit event which listens for trigger and this work fine already tested.
3) I already created a matrix with click event and the custom event for form submit. but my matrix is not showing
"if the user is coming from original and submitting the form (this is always 0)" it is only showing the users coming from variation1.

Problem Smiley Sad
1) How I will differ between the users coming from original or variation 1.

I guess we have to track user session?

Thank you
Apoorv

JasonDahlin 05-31-19

Hi @apoorv2003 ,

Sounds like you are on the right track, but there may be some minor issues with the setup.

I'm not sure what this means:

3) I already created a matrix with click event and the custom event for form submit. but my matrix is not showing

For this:

"if the user is coming from original and submitting the form (this is always 0)" it is only showing the users coming from variation1.

It sounds like the event is either only firing when the when the URL contains opt=true or that your listener is only running on the page when opt=true.  You'll want to make sure that this is firing all the time so you can capture form submissions from the control group and fgrom both link in the test group.

For this:
1) How I will differ between the users coming from original or variation 1.

Once you get the event firing and recording for all form submits, you will know whether the user is in the A or the B group based on Optimizely's built in reporting. (The rows are "A" and "B" and the columns indicated the success event occurring for those users, so the number in the "A" row will be form submits where the user previously saw the A version of the page, and the number in the "B" row will be form submits where the user previously saw the B version of the page.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy

Experimentation Hero