Rich-text Reply

Type Inference and Performance

johnhenryenvy 06-26-15

Type Inference and Performance

I have some code that looks like this:

var init = function(main, options){
      main(options);

which runs fine, but the Optimizely editor keeps telling me that "main is not a function". I understand how it's coming to this conclusion, but it is clearly wrong in this case (seeing how it works, and all...).

Here are's my question: 

Does Optimizely discourage this style of programming for any specific of reason?

Does it affect the way  the snippit is compiled?

Does this cause performance issues of which I am not aware?

(I ask these two questions because I am aware that some of Javascript's more "advanced" features can degrade performance in V8 (Chrome, Node) due to the way it's compiled)

Finally, if not, is there a way to disable error checking in the Optimizely editor? (I've hade more than one experience where perfectly valid code has thrown an "error", scaring a client and causing a delay in launch.) 

Please be thorough.

Thanks!

moravemj 06-26-15

Re: Type Inference and Performance

Hey @johnhenryenvy,

The Optimizely edit code box error checker is a modified version of JS Hint. Are you seeing that error in the edit code box, experiment javascript, or project javascript? I added the code to all three and it didn't give me any errors there. 

There is not a way to disable error checking in the Optimizely editor right now. 

Happy Friday!

Matt

Optimizely
Aicke 06-30-15

Re: Type Inference and Performance

[ Edited ]

Regardless of the javascript errors (I often get them, too) your code will not execute until domready, which may result in page flashing.

I suggest you to take a look at:

Everything is hard, before it is easy.
Level 2