Rich-text Reply

Variation Code Not Running on Internet Explorer

ChrisMoOKL 01-20-15

Variation Code Not Running on Internet Explorer

Has anyone run into the following?

I have a test that includes IE, and when I go the targeted pages, it says the test is running (using optimizely.variationNamesMap i've confirmed the correct test and variation is running).

But none of my code is running. This is confirmed with my many many console.log lines.

I read that IE6 and IE7 is no longer supported, but even if this were the issue, shouldn't the Optimizely object not be present on my page at all?

HELP!

Aisha 01-20-15

Re: Variation Code Not Running on Internet Explorer

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting! Since we no longer support IE 6 and IE 7, tests you create won't run in those browsers. The experiments should not activate.

When I tested this in IE 6 and 7 on my end, I didn't see the tests running nor did I see the object defined. Could you possible post a screenshot of the object defined on your end? Also, are you testing this in IE 6 or 7?

Feel free to respond when you get a chance!

Aisha
Customer Success and Technical Support @ Optimizely!
Optimizely
ChrisMoOKL 01-20-15

I'm on IE11, so I get the optimizely object, even when using the emulator to pretend i'm IE7.

Now my question above is not necessarily directed at IE6,7, more than it is just figuring out if the IE deprecation has anything to do with the fact that my variation code isn't running (but the experiment is)

Does this help?
Aisha 01-21-15

Hi Chris,

Thanks for following up. Since IE 6 and 7 are no longer supported, your variation code should no longer run in those browsers. Once the browser version is detected--say, IE 7--no experiments should activate.

When I test IE 6 and 7 on my end, I don't see the object defined at all. But as you mentioned, you're seeing it due to using IE 11.

I'm not sure if this is the article you read, but here is some additional information about the IE 6 and 7 deprecation:

https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Product-What-s-New/Announcement-Starting-October-15th-2014-we-wi...

Does this make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Best,

Aisha
Customer Success and Technical Support @ Optimizely!
Optimizely
ChrisMoOKL 01-22-15

It makes sense for the IE 6 and 7.

But i also don't think the deprecation is the issue here considering that:
a) I'm using IE11
b) The optimizely object appears

a and b should happen, no?

The part that is troubling is why (given a and b), the variation code isn't running at all.
I have console.logs in many many places within the variation code to see if it hits any part of it, and no luck
ChrisMoOKL 01-26-15

Is there anyone who can help on this? Perhaps a developer who can troubleshoot this with me

This is a serious blocker for a test we plan on running, and IE is a large portion of the audience we are targeting.

~ Chris
renerrrm 09-26-16

Hello, I have the same problem. Could you solve the problem @ChrisMoOKL or @Aisha's?
Regards
René Rubio
Web Developer - Growth hacker
Level 2
renerrrm 09-29-16

Hi @ChrisMoOKL, I found a clue to this problem. The "content mixed" is the reason, I can see the solution in the console of iExplorer this said: SEC7118: XMLHttpRequest para https://2721530437.log.optimizely.com/event?a=2721530437&d=2659630112&y=false&src=js&x4858741536=485... requirió Uso compartido de recursos de origen cruzado (CORS).
And this message said: https://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev12.query?appId=Dev12IDEF1&l=ES-ES&k=k(VS.WebClient.Help.SEC7118)
And this last message said: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ie/2012/02/09/cors-for-xhr-in-ie10/

The solution can be two ways, one is allow the CORS called from our server and the another is change the type of response of a JSON to a TEXT/JAVASCRIPT from Optimizely
Regards
René Rubio
Web Developer - Growth hacker
Level 2