Rich-text Reply

Where do I put the JQuery to dynamically change a link based on a data- attribute?

Tara_SumOfUs 11-30-15

Where do I put the JQuery to dynamically change a link based on a data- attribute?

Hi ... I am a JQuery newbie and could really use some help trying to create a variation.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a variation that includes a link that is not on the Original.  I have the button working fine on a per-page basis.  The problem is that I want to run my experiment site-wide, and the link needs to change for each page.  I can't manually edit the URL for each page, so I need some JQuery way to do it.

The <body> tag of the each page includes a data- attribute:  data-action="sample-campaign"

With that attribute, I can generate the URL I need: http://sumofus.org/a/sample-campaign/?sub=link

I think this is some pretty straightforward jQuery:

var el = $('[data-action]');
var str = 'http://sum.org/a/'+el.data("action")+'/?sub=link';

el.html('<a href="' + str + '">' + str + '</a>');

But I am not sure where I am supposed to put this within Optimizely in order for it to run on just one variation, but site-wide.  I have read all the documentationn but it isn't clicking for me.  Help?  Thanks so much!

elisa_nic 11-30-15

Re: Where do I put the JQuery to dynamically change a link based on a data- attribute?

Hello!

If you go to that variation in the editor and hit the blue "<edit code>" button on the bottom right, the box where you paste the code will pop up. Then you just hit "Apply" and you're good to go. Hope that helps!

Here's a relevant article from Optimizely: The Code Editor

Aicke 12-02-15

Re: Where do I put the JQuery to dynamically change a link based on a data- attribute?

[ Edited ]

First, Elisa is right with the "where".

But i'm afraid the code is incomplete, if your body tag looks like <body data-action="...">, then

var el = $('[data-action]');

will select the body tag and

el.html('<a href="' + str + '">' + str + '</a>');

will replace the content of the body tag with a single link.

I don't think you want that.

And whoever told you it's straightforward, don't trust him. ;-)

Everything is hard, before it is easy.
Level 2

Thank you so much for this!  So ... if this approach won't work, how can I accomplish this?

Here is the context: we are testing a button that will let the user share a link on WhatsApp.  I have a button that works, but it requires me to manually enter the link url for every campaign.  Now I am ready to run a full site test, but I can't figure out how to dynamically create the link based on the body tag.  Any advice woulld be greatly appreciated!

I appreciate the advice!  Based on this feedback, I have created a new question with more context about what I am trying to do:  https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Developers/JQuery-to-dynamically-change-a-link-inside-a-button/m...

Thanks again for your help!