Rich-text Reply

google analytics integration beacon message

mcho 10-26-16

google analytics integration beacon message

[ Edited ]

I am trying to integrate my optimizely experiement with the google analytics account on a developement site, and the beacon sent is as follows:

Running command: ga("send", "event", "Optimizely", "Assigned To Campaign", {nonInteraction: true, dimension5: "(7726741719):everyone_else(7727401998)Smiley Sad7732230734):treatment"})

How do I control this message?

Level 2

robertchan 10-28-16

Re: google analytics integration beacon message

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by message, but if you're attempting to add the beacon, you can just copy and paste that code into your variation code.
Robert Chan

mcho 10-28-16

I mean I want to change "(7726741719):everyone_else(7727401998)Smiley Sad7732230734):treatment". Right now that is what shows in my google analytics custom report. I want to customize that label. How do I do that?

Level 2
robertchan 10-28-16

That is something you'll need to manage on your GA end. I'd recommend setting this up as a custom report then selecting your filter to be set to your experiment name or whatever you'd like it to be. Here's an example of a custom report tied to Optimizely:

http://imgur.com/WjeuQkp
Robert Chan

mcho 10-28-16

That's what I did. But I'm not understanding how to control the label on GA since Optimizely is sending the beacon with that label. Shouldn't Optimizely codes send a different label?
Level 2
robertchan 10-28-16

Your label is "(7726741719):everyone_else(7727401998)Smiley Sad7732230734):treatment" in the event you're sending off so what populates in your GA will be that. If you want to change it, you need to change that label in the event. If you don't want to see that, then filter your report differently from what you have now to reflect another attribute. Optimizely will not manipulate the label being sent.
Robert Chan

mcho 10-28-16

I'm not saying Optimizely should manipulate the label, but where in my Optimizely experiment setting can I change this label? Normally, in my own codes, I can set the label to be whatever I want, but with the Optimizely + GA integration, am I able to change this label in the event that Optimizely sends to GA? If so, where, how?
Level 2
robertchan 10-28-16

Would need to see your entire set up, but this article might help you learn how custom events can be labelled as a start: https://help.optimizely.com/Measure_success%3A_Track_visitor_behaviors/Custom_event_goals_in_Optimiz...

Robert Chan

mcho 10-28-16

Hmmm... pageview is supposed to be not custom events, right? And the pageview events have names not like the label I described. So are you saying I need to create custom events for pageview as well and add the call in my js to include those api names?
Level 2
robertchan 10-28-16

I don't believe so, I'll let Optimizely address that.
Robert Chan

David_Orr 10-28-16

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The only settings you can change on our built in GA integration for Optimizely X is the allow descriptive names for your experiment name, audience, and variation. Here is a link to our KB article for more info on how to turn this setting off:

https://help.optimizely.com/Set_Up_Optimizely/Project_Settings%3A_Privacy#Force_variations_in_Optimi...

Alternatively, you can utilize an experiment's Javascript and manually fire off a GA event that you've created.

The API IDs can be found by clicking on "API Names" in a campaign's settting on Optimizely X. Here is a link for more info: https://help.optimizely.com/QA_Campaigns_and_Experiments/QA_Optimizely_X%3A_Use_the_JS_API%2C_consol...

David

Senior Technical Support Engineer
Optimizely
jpfotoz 10-28-16

Mcho.. I have the same problem. Unfortunately you can only change the experiment title and the variation name. for an data push to GA. It would be nice to be able to control the labes that get sent to GA -- this would make my Analytics guy very happy. [Hint, Hint, Optimizely]

Optimizely_YOUR-EXPERIENT-NAME (00000000): YOUR-VARIATION-LABEL
My new favorite site: baconipsum.com - because everyone need some bacon in their text!
Level 6
Genie 02-04-17

I came across the same problem. Then I unchecked "Mask descriptive names in project code and third-party integrations" in my account privacy setting. Optimizely can now send event with both the experiment name and the variation name. Try this: https://help.optimizely.com/Set_Up_Optimizely/Project_Settings%3A_Privacy#Force_variations_in_Optimi...
Level 1