Rich-text Reply

Can't have multiple tests run in mobile app

Tammy 03-11-16
Accepted Solution

Can't have multiple tests run in mobile app

Hello,

This question is not something looking for the solution, I just want to learn and understand how Optimizely mobile app test works for my future test for production.

I tried have 2 tests run at same time in a mobile app, but I failed.

The test I added to run after the first one couldn't show anything, the first test is running well though.

These 2 tests use same live variables and same code blocks at same view to make test varation.

I know I should not to do, I expected it returns "Deactivated" status, but at Optimizely dashboard, the status of both of 2 are "Running", not like "Deactivated".

Inside of the app, getActiveExperiments() returns just 1 test, it returns the first one's test ID.

So on the dashboard, the seconde one is running, but inside if the app, it's actually not running.

I would like to learn what happens there, and what I should care about for avoiding this situation in future.

Could you please advise me?

For just in case, my Project ID : 3245040327, you can see 2 tests running.

Thank you,

Tamie

Tamie
Level 6

kylemills 03-11-16

Re: Can't have multiple tests run in mobile app

[ Edited ]

@

Tammy 03-14-16

Any advice?
Tamie
Level 6
Pam 03-16-16

@Tammy great question!  You are able to run multiple tests at the same time using Optimizely, but each test can never modify the same live variable at the same time.

The reason for this is that a live variable can only have one value at any given time.  When you set up experiments, we recommend having different live variables added to each of those experiments.

To learn more, you can refer to our article called "How Optimizely's SDKs work":

https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/205014107-How-Optimizely-s-SDKs-Work-SDK-Order-of-exec...

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions on this!

Best,

Pam

Pam
Optimizely
Tammy 03-16-16

Thank you @Pam! You're the best!!!

I got it, I try to run 2 tests with different live variables next!
And I just noticed getActiveExperiments() class is deprecated, maybe I should've used getAllExperiments() instead.
Anyway I'll try this again based on your advice!

Thank you,
Tammy
Tamie
Level 6
Pam 03-17-16

@Tammy Glad that helped!  Instead of using getActiveExperiments, best practice is to use getVisitedExperiments, which should provide the information that you need.

Feel free to reach out if you have other questions!

Pam
Optimizely