Rich-text Reply

ClassCastException when calling get() on a LiveVariable in Editor mode (Android)

fingertricks 04-22-16
Accepted Solution

ClassCastException when calling get() on a LiveVariable in Editor mode (Android)

When using the latest Android SDK (v1.4.2) and LiveVariables I see the following exception when calling get() on a LiveVariable<Boolean> when I'm in Editor or Preview mode:

java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean

Steps to reproduce:

- Navigate to the screen containing the experiment,

- Switch between variants in the Optimizely dashboard (which changes the LiveVariable from true to false or vice versa)

- navigate back to the previous screen

- return to the experiment screen again

I can workaround the problem with the following wrapper around the call to the get(), but it shouldn't be necessary:

private static LiveVariable<Boolean> enableLogosVariable = Optimizely.booleanForKey(HYGIENE_LOGOS, false);

public
Boolean isExperimentVariantOn() {
try {
return enableLogosVariable.get();
} catch (ClassCastException e) {
return false;
}
}

Re: ClassCastException when calling get() on a LiveVariable in Editor mode (Android)

tedroddy 04-22-16

Re: ClassCastException when calling get() on a LiveVariable in Editor mode (Android)

fingertricks,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I was able to reproduce the crash using your repro steps. I'll file an internal bug report for this. 

Best,
Ted

Best,
Ted
Optimizely

Thanks for the quick response Ted. When this is fixed will there be a note in the Change Log?
tedroddy 04-25-16

Yep, the fix will be noted in the change log!

Best,
Ted
Best,
Ted
Optimizely

Although this bug isn't mentioned in the SDK's v1.5.0 release notes, at least not currently, it has been fixed in that release.

tedroddy 05-25-16

Thanks @fingertricks. I think there were just too many bug fixes to list them all in the change log.
Best,
Ted
Optimizely