Rich-text Reply

Is Optimizely approved for utilizing A/B testing in iOS platform?

Corey 02-08-16

Is Optimizely approved for utilizing A/B testing in iOS platform?

I have heard horror stories about companies using an A/B testing platform for their company's app and having to remove the app completely and start over as a new company because their A/B testing provider didn't follow iOS's rules for making app changes. Does Optimizely have some form of certification or approval from Apple that allows their use of A/B testing in their official apps? My company is looking into using Optimizely for our web and app optimization, but we also want to make sure we follow all the rules. Thanks for the help! 

Level 1

tedroddy 02-10-16

Re: Is Optimizely approved for utilizing A/B testing in iOS platform?

Corey,

We don't have any type of certification from Apple about this, but we have hundreds of live apps on millions of devices with zero issues from Apple. I have never heard of such an issue as you described. If Apple had a problem with something that our SDK was doing, they could simply remove our SDK and resubmit their app. You wouldn't need to start over as a new company.

Our SDK follows all of the guidelines set by Apple. Any code executed by the SDK needs to already exist in the app as Code Blocks, Live Variables or as Visual changes. Arbitrary code can not be added to apps and executed.

Ted
Best,
Ted
Optimizely

Re: Is Optimizely approved for utilizing A/B testing in iOS platform?

Booking.com, Amazon, Ebay, and Facebook all extensively use A/B testing in their iOS apps.

I believe the rule you are referring to is the restriction on downloading executable code to the app. A/B testing does not do that. It merely adds conditional code/UI to the app.