Rich-text Reply

iOS Adding Code Blocks in Editor without "Edit Mode"

jwilliams-handy 06-04-15

iOS Adding Code Blocks in Editor without "Edit Mode"

How can I add a code block in the Experiement Editor without putting the App in "Edit Mode". Ideally, I should be able to provide a key for a code block and a key for each block I want invoked in the expirment in the editor without going into that mode. Otherwise I'm confused how I can provide a code block for my App Store release without allowing that build to be put in "Edit Mode" as well which I don't want to do.

I would like to rapidly test my experiment in simulator by restarting the App and making sure that the percentage of the view I want loaded looks like it's being loaded at the appropriate rate but the behavior I'm seeing isn't lined up with what I put in the experiment unless I'm in "Edit Mode" or "Preview Mode".

Also, I didn't see it in the documentation but is the code that executes the code block in the iOS SDK synchronous?

Thanks

Pam 06-04-15

Re: iOS Adding Code Blocks in Editor without "Edit Mode"

@jwilliams-handy Thanks for the product feedback!  Unfortunately, you will need to put the app into edit mode in order to set up experiments that make modifications to the code block.  I will definitely give pass this product feature request to our engineering team but will likely not be a feature that we will be able to build in the short term due to other priorities.

For your other questions - 

Code blocks are executed synchronously.

There are 3 modes that the app can be run in, and "Normal Mode" should be used to make sure the percentage a view is loading at the appropriate rate.  To test that the percentage traffic allocation works as expected, you will want to run the app in Normal mode (which is how your users will see your experiments)  You will be able to see traffic allocation work as expected by deleting the app and counting as a new user.  Edit Mode is used to make changes to the app, and Preview Mode is used to see a specific variation.

Here are some links to a couple of articles that I think will be useful for you: how the SDK works and how to QA your experiments .

Hope this helps!

Pam
Optimizely
handy-dev 06-11-15

@Pam Thanks for the clarification on the features. Hope you're able to pass the product feature along and it gets added to the pipeline.
George 08-07-15

+1 for the feature to add/edit code blocks and custom variables to variations without having to put the app into edit mode. Considering that testing code blocks can already take developers out of their regular workflow, being able to make quick changes like this would make things more efficient.

I find that many of my tests on mobile involve code blocks. I might suggest an analysis to see if other customers have a similar experience and what the ratio to code block usage vs. live UI editing is.
Level 2
Pam 08-07-15

@George thanks for adding this!  This is something we have in the pipeline and are starting work on.  We really appreciate your feedback and are starting to take action on it!

Pam
Optimizely