Rich-text Reply

iOS SDK Storyboard pollution

JCM 07-03-14

iOS SDK Storyboard pollution

Hey,

The iOS Integration is really exciting.

Use of the SDK nearly brought a tear to my eye however.  Apple did so much work to make e.g. the XML behind Main.storyboard consistently produced and we have all enjoyed the benefits of this.

However with the Optimizely iOS SDK each time you bundle, the Main.storyboard becomes modified.  Even if you make zero changes to the app and bundle again, Optimzely makes a new set of changes to the Main.storyboard.

I realise Optimizely works by adding runtime attributes to as much as it can, but surely these could be consistently achieved and only changed if the element/object being tagged has changed?

I now find myself facing the same pain staking situations I thought iOS development had surpassed - consider a multi developer source controlled environment... issues ranging from merge conflicts through to simply unnecessarily creating a dirty source control repository when zero changes have actually been made.

Are there any plans to address this?

-James

JCM
Level 1

Pam 07-07-14

Re: iOS SDK Storyboard pollution

Hi James!  Thanks so much for your feedback! This is critical for us as we aim to improve our beta offering. We are aware of the issue with PrepareNibs and source control, and we are working on a fix to ensure that ID ordering in re-builds are kept consistent. We're also exploring longer-term solutions to this issue.

Pam
Optimizely
Pam 07-17-14

Hi James!  The mobile team has just cut a new SDK (v0.6.52).  The new release has an improved OptimizelyPrepareNibs.rb script which replaces OptimizelyPrepareNibs.py and should work nicely with source control.  Feel free to try it out and let us know how it goes!

Pam
Optimizely
Pam 12-23-14

Hi James, I just wanted to give you a quick update that we have released a new version (1.0.70) of the SDK that no longer modifies your XIB files.  You can access a new version of the SDK here: http://developers.optimizely.com/ios/.

Pam
Optimizely