[AWESOME FREE T-SHIRT CONTEST] - Encore: The Next Phase of the MC Commerce Experiment

by Optimizely ‎05-06-2014 May 6, 2014

TL;DR

• MC Commerce Video Launch was a great start - thanks for the support

• FREE T-SHIRT CONTEST - Submit your idea for MC Commerce’s next song to win a limited edition “RUN MVT” shirt (submit ideas replying to this post)

• Long winded musings on MC Commerce, hip-hop in marketing, and the challenge of building a following

Last week, we had the exciting pleasure of introducing the world to MC Commerce (and vice versa), a true champion of the burgeoning data-driven world.

Whether you’ve had a chance to appreciate Ben Horowitz’ feelings on hip-hop as a guiding leadership voice (we also just announced a new round of funding this week led by Andreesen Horowitz) or can recall back to the 1988 fantastic Pepsi “cool cans” campaign fueled by Young MC, the splendid intersection of marketing and hip-hop continues to beckon with opportunity.

Just a couple weeks ago Shocktop launched their most recent bid to get in on the action:

While it is clear the arrival of MC Commerce may not have made the raw exponential impact I believe that he ultimately can, the feedback from the public was truly amazing with a flood of complementary notes, a burst of new twitter followers and a range of great comments.

One commenter asked:  “Why hasn't this gone viral?”  

Great question - probably a lot of reasons.  While I continue to ponder those, I am excited to forge ahead.  Every good experiment needs a place to start.

Undeniably, there is a feeling of something there.  MC Commerce was even invited to speak at an upcoming conference.

After the launch of the video, I began asking myself a question with respect to this hip-hop data champion: What does it take to build a loyal base of supporters for MC Commerce?  

Knowing full well there is no simple answer, I settled on a basic premise that attempting to do genuinely great things and doing lots of them is a good place to start.

It is in this spirit that I am excited to be engaging you to help MC Commerce deliver more about this fascinating Optiverse that brings us all together.

MC Commerce is ready to get back into the studio, and we need your help.

There are so many stories, best practices, lessons learned that make wonderful fodder for an MC of this uniquely/authentically data-nerdy caliber, that its hard to know where to go next.

Thats where you come in - we want your ideas for a MC Commerce's next big track.

Whether its just a song title, or a simply a topic for hip-optimization discussion, your creativity will be a crucial piece to the future of MC Commerce.

Reply with what you'd like to see on a future album - stories of great testing feats, journeys through the peaks and valleys of optimization, statistical analysis of visitor data (and just how sexy it can be), or anything else you may come up with.

The first 3 people that submit actual* ideas (and two additional idea submitters drawn at random) will earn a limited edition RUN MVT shirt, pictured below:

Behold the Amazing RUN MVT Shirt

Warning:  Wearers of the RUN MVT Shirt may experience sudden enlightening moments of optimization idea generation 

Don't be shy, all ideas are welcome.  Lets have some fun and take this experiment full steam ahead.

* I am going to be pretty liberal with what an actual idea is, but just want to leave a small amount of wiggle room (the anti-troll in me).

Comments
by Optimizely
‎05-07-2014 May 7, 2014
I'm a huge fan of the shirt but will happily cede mine to someone who doesn't work here -- just want to kick off discussion Smiley Happy

Idea #1: "A to the B" - a soulful, smooth track about how to come up with killer, hypothesis-driven experiment ideas

Idea #2: "(I was) just expermentin'" - an uptempo track about what happens when your tests don't give you a clear winner, but you still end up with insights about your visitors (or what initiative you SHOULDN'T pursue because the concept didn't validate)

I'm excited to hear everyone's ideas -- it won't be hard to beat mine!
Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎05-07-2014 May 7, 2014 - edited ‎05-07-2014 May 7, 2014

Oh man - so groovy. The soulfulness of generating a killer hypothesis calls out to me. Thanks for the contributions ADAMA!

Also just got a suggestion off the twitter wire: @olsonchr suggests "D.R.E.A.M." - Data rules everything around me. A Wu-Tang inspired jam about the pursuit of holiest grail of them all.

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎05-07-2014 May 7, 2014
What about a powerful anthem called: "It's simply a test" (Featuring Tina Turner) - That should help ease the fear some people may have before running their first tests.
Optimizely
by nolanmargo
‎05-13-2014 May 13, 2014 - edited ‎05-13-2014 May 13, 2014

Oh man, this should continue the classic story-telling started with Jodie's premiere. I keep thinking about A Tribe Called Quest's Excursions, where Q-Tip reminisces about his time: 'back in the day, when I was a teenager, before I had status and before I had a page' ...

perhaps this could be a starting point for the next track, highlighting more closely, the hands-on difficulty of testing prior to the use of Optimizely ... the hours coding, the endless back and forth with technical teams, the difficulty of extracting data, all while trying to make a difference for our respective clients/companies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZWS6CITutY&feature=kp

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎05-13-2014 May 13, 2014
NOLANMARGO - You just struck a special chord! As it turns out, A Tribe Called Quest played more than pivotal role in my pop cultural upbringing - that aside, I think the theme of 'before I had Optimizely' is an absolute slam dunk! Telling 'the story before the story' is a wonderful narrative, as it truly highlights the reason Dan and Pete set out to build Optimizely in the first place. Dan's experience working on the Obama campaign back in 2007-2008 sparked the motivation to build the platform he wished he had during that time, something that could cure so many of the common ills of testing - its like a prequel! Awesome suggestion! I'll direct message you with details, but you have officially earned yourself a RUN MVT shirt!
Optimizely
by spiralyze Level 2
‎05-15-2014 May 15, 2014
Wearing a Run MVT shirt, MC COmmerce needs to cover "Walk This Way"

Here's my first verse:

Now your customer ain’t buyin
And with your boss it ain’t flyin
But you don’t know how to fix.
You can’t even change opacity
Cos your developer has no capacity
And you’re about to take some licks
Better listen up son