Contest: A fun, interesting or surprising fact about you!

by Optimizely ‎08-22-2014 August 22, 2014 - last edited on ‎10-08-2015 October 8, 2015 by Optimizely

Update: Brett is the winner of this contest, his space cats drawing is incredible and received the most votes.

---

The fun fact with the most kudos will get a special prize, so give kudos to the replies that tickle you the right way, and don't forget to share your fun fact below. Remember, the more we learn about each other, the easier it gets to find awesome creations we can build together.

An amazing tradition we have had at Optimizely since we were a team of less than 15 is having each new hire share a fun fact about themselves at the end of their first week at our weekly company all hands meeting.  As small as it sounds, this has sparked so many great conversations, and has acted as an incredible means of fostering some incredible collaboration.

In this spirit, I thought it would be fun to invite all of you to share something about yourself that may be surprising.  

I'll kick it off with my fun fact:

As the middle child in a family of seven kids, my parents put me in gymnastics at an early age.  For reasons unknown, I took to it right away, and to many of my colleagues and hopefully your suprise, I was actually good enough to make the Junior National Team at age 13.  While I've lost most of it by now, I can still be caught occasionally doing the one of handstand or throwing an impromtu back flip (under the right conditions).  

Now its your turn, Optiverse!  Share with us.

Comments
by Optimizely
‎08-22-2014 August 22, 2014

My fun fact: I speak Yoruba fluently. Yoruba is a Nigieran language spoken by about 30+ million people. Because of this skill, I am somewhat of a YouTube sensation. My most popular video has almost 200,000 views. Search the web for my Yoruba moniker, "Titilayo Oyinbo" (or white Titilayo) and you'll see me. 

P.S. I can say I've witnessed Jodie's random back flips and even a stroll around the office on his hands.

Optimizely
by Optimizely

My fun fact: I used to live in a *super* rural town in Costa Rica that was extremely difficult to get in or out of using public transportation. At the slightest hint of rain, the roads were impassable for the bus. Because of this, I once rode in the back of a banana truck for 30 miles to hitchhike my way to another city. I can't say it was the most comfortable of rides, but hey, at least I had unlimited access to snacks Smiley Happy

@CK-Matthew - I know you have a fun fact to share, can you tell us here? 

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎08-22-2014 August 22, 2014 - edited ‎08-22-2014 August 22, 2014

I won 4th in the nation in a Parliamentary Procedures competition during my time in Phi Beta Lambda / Future Business Leaders of America.  #nerd

gavel.gif

@Experimentalist - I want a photo!

Optimizely
by Optimizely

My Fun Fact: While most people use physical materials for their art, I tend to go the digital route. Mainly because I am lazy and hate mixing paint. I perfer to draw using just a computer mouse(no tablet) to make digital paintings. And I often like to give myself interesting themes for inspiration. For example: What would the Presidents of the United States look like if they were dinosaurs? I also take fun requests from friends, such as this one titled 'Space Cats'.

Space Cats

(click for full image)

Optimizely
by CK-Matthew
My fun fact: is when living on the Gold Coast, I had a scooter that I used to go from my house to the beach everyday, which was awesome but I really wanted to be able to take my dog with me as well. So to the embarrassment of my girlfriend and pure amusement of on lookers, I got a front baby carrier (like a backpack you wear on the front) and would ride around with BB strapped to my chest, wind in her face....will upload a pic when back at my computer.
Level 2
by 33Sticks Level 3
‎08-22-2014 August 22, 2014 - edited ‎08-22-2014 August 22, 2014

I wore a tutu in order to raise money to build a fresh water well in an Ethopian village. 

Tutu

Level 3
by CK-Matthew
‎08-24-2014 August 24, 2014 - edited ‎08-25-2014 August 25, 2014

photo.JPG

Level 2
by nolanmargo
‎08-24-2014 August 24, 2014

Met my wife during her last week of undergrad.  Still kicking my, perosnal undergrad-can down the road, I chased my soon to be vet-student girlfriend (at the time) to Scotland.  There we both studied, along side one another for 4 years, loving everyone moment in Edinburgh.  From there we climbed in the highlands, set up a relief mission in Swaziland, acted as a Euro-base for our continent-bound friends and brought home our first Scottish Terrier.  There I worked as a consultant to the Scottish Government, providing ad-hoc economic development studies, often called to session in parliament as expert advisor Smiley Wink Now happily married, we've added to our Scottish tribe with a second Scottie and two more cats! 

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎08-25-2014 August 25, 2014

While the Harold & Kumar movies did widen their exposure, most people outside the southern or midwestern United States haven't heard of the fast food restaurant White Castle, let alone eaten at one.  They are actually the oldest hamburger restaurant in the country (founded in 1923) and the inventors of the slider.  They have very strong social marketing and call their fans "cravers."

A few years ago they started a nationwide essay contest for their fans to describe how much they love White Castle, with the grand prize being induction into the Cravers Hall of Fame.  Lucky for me I found out about this in their frozen packages, which is all we get in California.  In July of 2012, I said what the heck. and sent in a short description of some of my anecdotal experiences at White Castle.  Given that they were long past and I lived in California now, roughly 2,000 miles from the closest White Castle, I figured I had no shot.  White Castle was also clever in not describing the full extent of what induction meant, so I didn't spend much time thinking about it.

Lo and behold, in September 2012 my essay, along with nine others and one honorary selection, was chosen from among a group of nearly 800 for induction.  White Castle flew me and my wife to their corporate headquarters in Columbus for two days, provided us hotel and transportation, gave us a tour of (part of) their test kitchen and their manufacturing plant, and provided a catered lunch of White Castle, of course.  They held a formal induction ceremony and made plaques that will hang on their HQ wall for all to see (and yes, John Cho and Kal Penn are also Hall of Famers).  They even held a private formal dinner at the Ohio Historical Society.  And then to cap it all off, they took us on a late-night run to one of the oldest White Castles in Columbus for any number of sliders we wanted.  Oh the pleasure of a Crave Case of 30 sliders...

White Castle notified all the inductees' local newspapers and filmed video interviews for their own corporate marketing campaigns.  Below I've attached a picture of the essay I wrote and the plaque with all our names on it.  All in all it's quite a silly story, and they haven't responded to my requests to begin building White Castles in California yet.

white_castle.jpg

white_castle_2.jpg

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎08-27-2014 August 27, 2014
This is incredible!
Optimizely