Faces of Optiverse: David Shaw

by Optimizely ‎07-22-2014 July 22, 2014

I wanted to take the time to highlight our most active member in Optiverse (currently). Here's a chance to get to know David Shaw a little better. 

Name: David Shaw

TitleUX & Conversion Manager, Vouchercloud

You can find David on LinkedIn and Twitter: 

• How did you end up working in website optimization? Did you mean to? Why/Why not?

Around three years ago I was working as a PHP developer for an eCommerce company where I started to put forward ideas to the managing director about improvements that could be made to the website to increase revenue, that then developed into me be allocated regular spots in my week to test new ideas on the website. Around 18 months ago was offered the chance to work entirely on CRO for a car insurance company and I’ve been hooked ever since. In around 12 months I was able to boost the conversion rate of the car insurance company by over 40%, generating millions of pounds in additional revenue annually. In March this year I made the move to vouchercloud to take on a new challenge on a business model that is different from the websites I have worked on previously.

• What’s been the most inspiring moment in your website optimization career so far?

This is a very difficult question to answer as there have been many highs over the past 18-24 months. I suppose a feeling that stands out for me would be the first time I calculated a tests financial impact on a company’s annual revenue and it exceeded £10million, I had to double, triple and quadruple check the math’s to make sure it was right. 

I love a challenge so when you get those wins on projects that are difficult it is a fantastic feeling that drives you to keep going and make websites and webpages perform even better.

• Why are you excited about the Optiverse community?  What drives you to engage so frequently? 

I think what’s great about Optiverse is that it is a community of people who all share the same goal. With the CRO and UX industry growing so rapidly at the moment it is important to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and test ideas to keep yourself one step ahead of the crowd because although it is a small crowd at the moment the CRO industry is going to be very big in the next 2-3 years and it will need people like us who have been here a while to guide others on their journey and grow the next generation of CRO experts.

It is also great place to share your own successes with others as we are all in the same boat, looking to achieve similar goals on our own websites.

Finally, having a place to go when you are having a few problems implementing a test is an invaluable resource that will save many users many hours of trying to get things to work.

• What are some hobbies you enjoy outside of work?

Outside of work I enjoy watching and playing a number of sports, most notably though I am in to football (soccer) and cycling. I recently started commuting to work on my bike and have got the bug for it so I expect that I will continue to ride at weekends as well.

I also have some geeky hobbies, one of which is writing algorithms. I recently created an algorithm that uses around 10k+ lines of football (soccer) results data to help generate football betting tips, it has a pretty high accuracy and in March I launched the tips as an Android app for my friends to use, it went a bit crazy and has now had nearly 100k downloads, I now keep tinkering with it in my spare time.

285497_10150754449190534_1002862_n copy.jpg

Comments
by Optimizely
‎07-24-2014 July 24, 2014

Awesome! The Optiverse wouldn't be where its at without people like you!

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎07-28-2014 July 28, 2014

@adzeds We're really impressed with all the thoguht-provoking questions you raise on each topic.  Thanks for making this such an engaging community!

Optimizely
by
‎07-30-2014 July 30, 2014

Thanks guys!

Level 11