Have questions about prioritizing your roadmap? Ask me questions and check out these workshop tips.

by Optimizely ‎08-12-2015 August 12, 2015 - last edited on ‎08-14-2015 August 14, 2015 by Optimizely

I’m Ryan Lillis, a Strategy Consultant at Optimizely. I just hosted an online workshop called “Prioritize Your Roadmap” as part of our hands-on Optimizely Workshop series (you can find the workshop recording at the bottom of this post). I would encouarage you to post questions in this thread, I am more than happy to help. 

If you’d like to learn more from our Optimizely Workshop series, sign up here.

Today, we covered:

• why creating a prioritized list of test ideas is important
  • what components are needed to create a prioritized list
  • how to create a framework that prioritizes your test ideas automatically

Once you have a list of a few or even dozens of test ideas, effective prioritization becomes paramount. How do you choose which tests to do first?

Every testing team, and every company, is different. Maybe your team is technically savvy but low on design resources, so you easily set up tests but have trouble getting mockups. Maybe you have executive buy-in but it’s difficult to get time in with the developer, so advanced test ideas are quickly greenlit but slowly implemented. What takes effort at your company? What is easily done? A framework that systematically prioritizes tests by the effort they take versus the impact they make will help you create an effective roadmap.

A framework that quantifies effort versus impact is even more actionable. You can assign effort scores and impact scores to your tests to clearly assess which tests to prioritize. Put high-impact, low-effort tests at the top your queue.

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 11.05.19 AM.png

If you want to go further, systematically evaluate your tests for potential impact and effort by creating a rubric. A rubric lets you score impact and effort objectively, in advance. Customize the weights of your effort scores to the strengths of your team. Adjust the weights of your impact scores to the goals that are most important to your business. Then, you can prioritize all your tests using this pre-determined framework.

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 3.53.23 PM.png

And if you want to get really effective, automate your framework. Create a test idea submission form that asks questions about what resources, skill sets, etc. are required for a given idea. The responses to this form populate a spreadsheet with built-in formulas that add or subtract points based on the responses. As soon as an idea is submitted, a score is generated and the list can be sorted by those scores.

Here’s how it works:

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 4.04.27 PM.png

That’s it! Have any questions? Feel free to chat with me here in Optiverse.

If you missed the workshop and want more than the highlights, the recording is here: