July Optimizer of the Month: Robert Chan

by Optimizely ‎07-21-2016 July 21, 2016

After a hiatus, we decided to bring back our Optimizer of the Month program. We're delighted to recognize Robert Chan, Senior MVT Developer at Isobar, for the month of July. Robert is constantly helping other users solve questions and actively engaging in the Optiverse. Learn more about Robert below and be sure to send him congratulations!

1. Tell us a little about your profession. What do you do? How do you use Optimizely?

I'm currently a Senior MVT Developer for a digital agency. I'm responsible for proposing and building test plans with clients as well as developing the code for approved experiments. Optimizely is used as a platform where experiments are created, launched, and managed.

1. When did you start working in the optimization space?

I began working in optimization over 5 years ago after discovering its potential to have significant impact on business decisions, product iteration, and return on investments. At the time, having an optimization practice and department within a company was gaining traction, but a number of businesses were still hesitant about getting involved. I was extremely interested in proving that optimization could be a crucial component to a company's success.

1. What's your favorite Optimizely feature?

Optimizely comes with outstanding features that foster a solid testing culture for any business. Tool-wise, I would say that my favorite feature is the user interface. Being able to intuitively work within Optimizely's environment gives everyone from product managers to developers the opportunity to focus on a project without having to put weight on other resources. Compared to competitors and equally as important as its user interface is Optimizely's incredible support team and community. Whereas competitors sell essential platform-learning material at a premium, the documentation for using Optimizely is the best I've seen on the market. Complemented by Optimizely's Optiverse community, mastering the use of Optimizely's platform is not an excruciating game of finding scattered information, but a journey into efficiently maximizing a company's capacity to advance.

1. What product feature would you most like to see Optimizely implement in the future?

I would love to see Optimizely implement even more user-friendly features. With its REST API and sample code snippets, Optimizely is already ahead of everyone else in its industry, but it'd be great to have features that bring developers closer to non-developers. A common issue I've seen with the interaction between developers and non-developers is that the latter attempts to understand how they can gain a better understanding of what developers are doing within Optimizely's platform without burdening the developers themselves. I'd love to see more code snippets of common experiments categorized by difficulty of implementation as I believe such snippets would really help non-developers.

1. What is your favorite thing about being a part of & engaging in Optiverse?

I love helping people, and learning more every day. Checking out what's new in Optiverse is usually one of the first things I do when I get into the office. Seeing what others are working on within Optiverse definitely motivates me, and addressing issues others are facing challenges me with situations that I can potentially face in my own process of building experiments.

1. What has been your proudest accomplishment with Optimizely? Have you launched any unusual tests?

I would say that there's nothing more rewarding than showing that an experiment has successfully increased return on investments for a company. Likewise, many companies sometimes forget how much experiments can prevent from loss. I remember running an unusual test where a number of element positions were rearranged on a page in an awkward manner. While proponents for the rearrangement voiced their support for the changes, data from running the experiment proved that such changes would have led to a significantly negative impact on conversions.

1. What's a website or app you simply cannot live without?

The practical side of me enjoys a daily dose of BBC News while the nerdy side of me is mildly addicted to Chess Free.

1. Being fearless is one of Optimizely’s core values. What's the most fearless thing you've ever done? Personally or professionally.

Professionally, I've stood my ground in delivering results from experiments that company stakeholders may not have wanted to hear, and personally, I've previously directed and built a site focused on connecting Asians and Asian Americans with the media industry which is a sector I'd like to see more Asians involved in.

1. If you could add one thing to Optiverse what would it be?

I'd love to have an miscellaneous section where users could discuss random topics in news or entertainment, and organize meetup events. It'd be a great way for Optiverse users to connect further, and strengthen community interest.

Comments
by
‎07-22-2016 July 22, 2016

Thanks so much to Optimizely for giving me this opportunity, truly appreciate it!

Level 14
by Zsolt
‎07-29-2016 July 29, 2016

Well deserved Rob! You're everywhere in the Optiverse!

Level 5
by
‎08-01-2016 August 1, 2016

Thanks @Zsolt!

Level 14