Optimizer of the Month: Doug Clay

by Optimizely ‎11-23-2016 November 23, 2016

This week is Thanksgiving in the United States, when we celebrate gratitude and giving thanks. I'd like to express MY thanks to Optimizer of the Month Doug Clay! Doug has done a tremendous job helping others in the Optiverse, earning more "Accepted Solutions" than any other person for the month of October. Please join me in thanking DougC, and read more about him below!

Tell us a little about you!

I'm a sales engineer having worked at Dell, Siemens and Informatica as well as a few startups.  Although I certainly like to get in front of an audience, I'm really a coder at heart.  I've worked on teams that created POS software from soup-to-nuts and I continue to write code to sell software just for the heck of it.  I'm always on the lookout for the next job that can fuel my passion.

What is your favorite thing about what you do?

My passion is application development.  In the past I would have said programming.  Because of Optimizely, I’ve gained a keen interest in web development and facets of user experiences.  Last night I “worked” on an Arduino project with my 11-year-old son, and through his eyes once again experienced the wonder of programming and the magic that followed.  Maybe my passion is simply programming.

What's your favorite Optimizely feature? 

The editor.  Easy to understand and use.  I was productive immediately.

What product feature would you most like to see Optimizely implement in the future?

I’d like to see the code editor as an IDE.

What is your favorite thing about being a part of & engaging in Optiverse?

I like to add a different perspective when trying to solve a member’s issue.  Someone asked about using Python 3.0 with Optimizely’s REST API.  I downloaded Python 3.0, read an online Python primer and created a simple “hello world”, all in about 2 hours.  That’s fun.

If you could add one thing to Optiverse what would it be? 

Intuitive bookmarks – something with a hierarchical structure kind of like what browsers support.  I’d also get rid of gamification.

What's a website or app you simply cannot live without?

AWS:  OSs, DBs, LAMP, Big Data.  What a sandbox!

Being fearless is one of Optimizely’s core values. What's the most fearless thing you've ever done? Personally or professionally.

Coaching baseball, football and soccer for the last 6 years for my son’s teams.  I still think about some wild 6-year-old, 10 feet from me, hurling a baseball and aiming for my head.

Comments
by
‎11-28-2016 November 28, 2016

Great interview, I enjoyed hearing what Doug had to say about intuitive bookmarks.

Level 14