Recap and highlights from OptEx14 in Seattle

by Optimizely ‎07-30-2014 July 30, 2014 - edited ‎07-31-2014 July 31, 2014

We just got finished with our first stop of Optimizely Experience in Seattle at the incredible Experience Music Project!  The reason we had the event here at EMP (and at other museums across the US) is because we believe that optimization is more than just about data. It is also important to incorporate creativity and ideation along with data to drive business results through experience optimization.  We hope that attendees get inspired from all the creativity flowing through these beautiful venues, and all the great content we have lined up to share! 

I wanted to share some of the highlights and interesting learnings from the day:

Highlights:
  • Optimizely 101 training was really helpful to our newest customers!  They learned a lot and got VIP treatment from the Optimizely Education team.  If you want to brush up on the basics and get an intensive in-person session with our education team, sign up here!
  • Roboboogie's sponsor booth was amazing.  Their creative director hand made a Roboboogie "campsite" out of wood.  They even had a "campfire" where attendees could make smores!  I especially loved their case study collateral, it was like an interactive infographic.  Very unique and creative.  
roboboogie.jpg

• EMP blew my mind.  I can't wait to visit this other museums on the roadshow.

The entrance leading into the auditorium.  

EMP1.jpg  

I got to take a tour through the fantasy exhibit and saw real outfits worn in the Wizard of Oz and The Princess Bride, 2 of my all time favorite movies

oz.jpg

princess bride.jpg

Highlights from the presentations:

• Jessie-Becker-Round.pngInsights from Jessie Becker, Optimizely:
    • Where are customers spending their time?
      • Working - 28% of the day is spent checking and responding to email
      • Shopping - Online retail expected to grow at a rate of 10% per year until 2018
      • Consuming Content - Google processes over 3.5B searches per year
      • Socializing - 48% of Facebook users log in on a daily basis
    • $92 a company spends bringing people to their site, they spend $1 on getting them to convert (IBM Tealeaf 2012) 
    • How can you make sure you are optimizing your funnel and get more out of your investments?  Through experience optimization.
    • Learn more at one of our upcoming roadshows!

• Erin-Zefkeles-Round.pngInsights from Erin Zefkeles at Bing Ads 
    • Run simple tests for smaller markets that are resource contraint (like button changes).  You can insights and results with little effort
    • Test your assumptions (never assume anything)
    • Leverage testing to solve business problems (like fradulent form submissions)
    • Be nimble - leverage your optimization platform to make changes on your website if your web team is unavailable

• Sean-Ellis-Round.pngInsights from Sean Ellis at Qualaroo 
        • Desire - Friction = Conversion Rate
        • Understand their intent, then gauge desire
        • Understand friction, test to reduce friction and enhance desire
        • Prioritize testing using the PIE method
          • Potential (How much improvement can be made)
          • Importance (Highest volume of traffic)
          • Ease (Least time/resources for same return)

Obviously the notes here are just highlights, but I encourage you to download their presentation decks!  The ideas and tips incorporated throughout Sean and Erin's presentations were phenomenal!

Here are some of my favorite tweets from the day:

Learned new ways to discover what works in marketing on the web at using the tools of testing platform. Test and grow! - 

thanks for sharing all your thoughts and insights at ! You gave me a lot to do tomorrow  - 

sean2.jpg

Lastly, we hope you join us if you are near Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley or New York City.   We can't wait to meet you, and for you to meet your optimization peers!