Share your fearless stories to win great prizes

by Optimizely ‎11-17-2015 November 17, 2015

Did you implement a test this year that no one thought would work? Did you help execute an idea that everyone thought was bound to fail? Did you see any variation winners that totally surprised you? Did you help significantly change your website experience? 

Share your story about the most fearless test or project you've worked on in 2015. We're giving away Optimizely T-Shirts to all participants in this discussion in celebration of our upcoming Virtual Event. 

Comments
by petertrapasso
‎12-01-2015 December 1, 2015

Hi,

I just signed up for The Optimizely Virtual Experience. I cannot wait!

As far as test go, I look forward to 2016 to implent a few for my clients.

Cheers,

Peter

by Marlon_Creative
‎12-14-2015 December 14, 2015

I work at a nonprofit where much of this technology is considered science fiction. I've had to teach it to people much older than me. One day I got sick of hearing people argue about some of the copy on our website and so I told them that enough was enought. Everyone's idea has a chance with A/B testing. The big debate was whether "services" or "what we do" is more appealing. In the end "what we do" won by a slight margin. The takeaway wasn't so much the small win, but the change in culture that this presented. It's a tough break having to learn all this on your own and sheapard change as the young guy in the office, but that's what it is for now. 

Thanks, Optimizely! 

by brinakaiser
‎12-15-2015 December 15, 2015 - edited ‎12-15-2015 December 15, 2015

We're pursuing rapid testing on our pricing & editions - and how we talk about them.  My group is championing and owning this effort against understandable heat from sales channels.  As we shift even some parts of our primary brand messaging we're moving lots of cheese and there have been a lot of lessons learned, damage control and small steps forward.  The success has been in the hearts & minds internal campaign. Smiley Happy  We've won support from stakeholders we didn't expect, primarily by focusing on outcomes and enrolling them in the slightly longer-term vision.  Now when we're talking tactics we have a shared outcome to relate it to and more trust to move the efforts ahead more quickly!

Level 1
by carynltate
‎12-15-2015 December 15, 2015

In 2015, I thought a specific mobile test would be a sure winner for an education client, but found the complete opposite.

The current site featured copy that moved our form below the fold on mobile: I thought by removing that copy and moving the form up, we'd see a huge lift in conversion rate.

In fact, conversion rate decreased without the copy, though only by a small percentage.

In 2016, we will continue focusing on mobile experience, as mobile search continues to grow as part of the search pie.

Level 1
by Robinson1517
‎12-15-2015 December 15, 2015

My biggest test in 2015 was testing a page having all course programs on one page vs single page landers that only had one course program listed on our form. 

This test was in effort to reduce the number of our landing pages, so that we could continue to optimize the experience on 1 landing page vs several at a time. 

The page with several different courses won by a landslide. We feel that this gave the user a sense of option that they did not have before, as well as build credibility with the brand, seeing that they offer more than one course.

In 2016 we will be focusing on optimizing the new page with new form tests, colors tests, and content updates.

Level 1
by JDahlinANF
‎12-18-2015 December 18, 2015

@carynltate -

That's a great lesson in understanding your audience and the value proposition that your form represents!

As long as your mobile page doesn't have a "false bottom", users who want the product/service will scroll a little bit _and_ users who need a but more information before committing will have what they need.

Level 2