Ability to access variation code even if page doesn't load in the editor

by MJBeisch Level 2 ‎07-10-2014 July 10, 2014

I frequently re-use code pieces when setting up experiments, and I'm sure many other people do as well. I often find myself wanting to grab some code that I've written for an older, completed experiment but am unable to because the page that the experiment runs on no longer loads in the editor. Maybe the page is gone, maybe the Optimizely project code was removed from it, etc. I'd like to be able to get at the variation code in that situation.

I know I could maybe do a workaround by putting a different page into the editor, but even that won't work if the project code is no longer on the page.

Sorry, I don't think we're likely to support this, but you can always use the API to grab the variation code from pages that don't load anymore!
Level 2

Comments
by
‎07-10-2014 July 10, 2014

This is actually something I have been looking at a solution for!

I have been looking at creating a code log of common changes or some database of JS snippets.

If we could have some form of scratchpad in Optimzely then it would save us all a lot of hassle

Level 11
by Optimizely
‎07-10-2014 July 10, 2014

@MJBeisch - even if the page won't load in the editor, you can still open up the "edit code" section at the bottom to pull out the varaition code. 

That being said, I do love the idea of having a project level "note-pad" where you can jot down common code snippets that you use often so they are very easily referenceable, like @adzeds mentioned. Is this something that would be helpful to you? 

Optimizely
by MJBeisch Level 2
‎07-10-2014 July 10, 2014 - edited ‎07-10-2014 July 10, 2014

Amanda, I think you're mistaken. Here's a screenshot I just took of the editor with a non-loaded page:

web-editor-with-non-loaded-page.png

Note that there is no code drawer at the bottom, and the buttons/tabs to access the variations are greyed out and unclickable.

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎07-29-2014 July 29, 2014
Status changed to: Maybe One Day
Sorry, I don't think we're likely to support this, but you can always use the API to grab the variation code from pages that don't load anymore!
Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎02-24-2015 February 24, 2015

At this time access to the Code Editor without fully loading the page in the Visual Editor is a feature reserved for internal Optimizely employees.  Our Product Management team is well aware of this request and is evaluating its proritization.  Thanks for the great suggestion!

Optimizely