0 Likes

Add additional targeting options per page on multi-page tests

by SarahR ‎05-15-2014 May 15, 2014

Add querystring parameter targeting at the url level for multi-page tests. Other stuff would be cool as well (like checking js variable value), but querystring is what's causing us pain right now, so I won't be too greedy ;-)

Here's the current scenario:

Since I believe the following are true

1.  targeting conditions other than the url don't apply when the test code is actually run after the user has already been slotted into a test
  2. the url targeting on multipage tests doesn't cover querystring parameters (or other conditions that might be relevant for identifying a specific page & user experience (cookie, javascript variable, etc))

The following is not possible in a single multipage test:

1. targeting changes to a dynamic page where the only difference in the url are querystring parameters and values. In other words, where what loads on the page is determined by what's in the query string, not the base url.
  2. targeting changes to a dynamic page where what loads on the page is determined by a cookie or javascript variable being present and equaling a certain value.

Keeping in mind that the querystring parameters, cookies, or javascript variables may be different page to page with the list of pages included in the test.

I just had to create a test that was essentially 4 optimizely tests, that could have been a single multipage test if the url parameters were available in the url targeting.

Level 2

Comments
by Optimizely
‎07-08-2014 July 8, 2014
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely
by Stjernvall
‎12-09-2016 December 9, 2016

Is it still not possible to do a multi-page test with cookies AND url's?

regards

Marianne Stjernvall

Level 1