Allow Audiences to be combined as criteria instead of Any Match

by asmang ‎01-13-2015 January 13, 2015

Add the option for audiences to be joined by an AND instead of the current ANY (OR) for targeting.

As default, ANY audience that matches will be included in the experiment.  However, you may want to use multiple audiences to avoid having to create weird hybrids.

Example:  A campaign targeted to mobile phones

Audience 1:  All mobile devices

Audience 2:  query param = your campaign

If you had an "AND", we could use these two audiences (thereby being able to always have a reusable mobile device audience).  However, at present, we would have to create a 3rd audience that has both the mobile targeting AND the query param.  

Level 2

Comments
by RickyS
‎11-03-2014 November 3, 2014

This is somewhat similar to Ricky's request on AND/OR for targeting, but I want AND/OR choices for the audience targeting as well. Today, when choosing multiple audiences in the audience targeting, it will treat them as OR. A match with any audience in the audience targeting will include the user in the experiment. But what if you want to combine an audience that contains an exclude rule with an audience containing an include rule?

I.e. create an audience consisting of two audiences where one audience excludes mobile users with an audience including Chrome users. By adding these two segments to the audience target, I would like to have an AND option so that the audience would be non-mobile users using Chrome. The way it works today, I would have gotten all desktop users (no matter which browser) + all mobile users using Chrome. Doesn't really make much sense that way. It really should have AND/OR choices. That way one can build audiences and truly combine them together. Today this only works as long as one are using "include", it breaks as soon as one have an exclude rule.

Level 2
by
‎11-06-2014 November 6, 2014

+1

Level 7
by
‎02-13-2015 February 13, 2015

Hey Asmang,

When you're adding audiences to experiments, you can add more than one! So it sounds like you should continue to have your first two audiences, and just add them both to the experiment like:

https://i.clrhd.me/tf/2015-02-13_11-13-36.png

Make sense?

-Tom

Experimentation Hero
by asmang
‎02-13-2015 February 13, 2015

Tom,

That's not correct.  What you propose doesn't actually work. You treat than as an OR condition. I want them treated as an AND or an OR at my discretion. 

In your example either of those audiences will match and cause visitors to be exposed to the test.   What I want are for multiple conditions to chain together such that they need to meet ALL criteria. 

For example, if I have one audience for mobile visitors and another for visitors from Atlanta, GA, if I use both I'll get people who aren't from Atlanta if they're on mobile and aren't on mobile if they're from Atlanta. As it exists, I have to create a 3rd hybrid audience for mobile visitors from Atlanta.  I don't want hybrid audiences.  That's messy and from a programming standpoint, not DRY since we're repeating work.

I want to use my two individual audiences in such a way that included visitors in my experiment must meet the criteria of both the selected audiences. 

Make sense?  You don't already have this functionality. 
Level 2
by Optimizely
‎02-25-2015 February 25, 2015
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely