Bounce Rate as a Default Goal instead of Engagement

by gbesen ‎04-18-2014 April 18, 2014

Optimizely has this Engagement goal set as a default goal in every experiment. It measures any click on any element. Other than this you have no idea of the industry standard bounce rate and they are quite different in nature. It is unthinkable for me to not measure the bounce rate as a primary KPI for a landing page which Optimizely should be designed for. Engagement is such a vague term. Getting accurate bounce rate during A/B tests especially if you use redirects to other domains or subdomains is such a difficult task and misleading.

Man, just give us the bounce rate.

Level 2

Comments
by Optimizely
‎04-18-2014 April 18, 2014

I would love a bounce rate goal in Optimizely. I've talked briefly about this with our product team and will continue to push for it. Thanks for the feedback!

Optimizely
by ChrisSanfilippo
‎04-18-2014 April 18, 2014

I second that request. This is a critical feature. Please incorporate it!

by maladeeb
‎04-22-2014 April 22, 2014

Please get going on this!

Level 1
by FalkoM
‎05-07-2014 May 7, 2014

It's a problem for one of my current tests. I support this 100%!

Level 2
by igerber
‎05-21-2014 May 21, 2014

Bounce rate would be amazing.

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎06-02-2014 June 2, 2014
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely
by zemaniac
‎06-04-2014 June 4, 2014

<irony>

Just make half of the users use the bounce rate in the reports and see which audience converts better to platinum customers Smiley Very Happy

</irony>

Level 2
by Abdulhameid
‎06-10-2014 June 10, 2014

Yes, We are heavely in need for it!

Thanks gbesen for posting this.

Level 1
by meieralison
‎06-10-2014 June 10, 2014

+1

Level 1
by
‎07-02-2014 July 2, 2014 - edited ‎07-02-2014 July 2, 2014

+1 (with alternatives)

Depending on the site business model, "bounce" can be nearly as vague a term as "engagement". I'd be very interested in expanding the discussion to more clearly defining Bounce Rate.

Traditionally, Bounce has referred to a visit in which the visitor exits from the initial page view without navigating to any other page on the site.

For our sites, our primary KPI event can occur multiple times per visit (request: total event stats) and on almost any page. This means that we can, and regularly do, receive 1 or more conversion events from a visit that would be classified as a Bounce. Because of this, in our internal data tagging, I've added the term "True Bounce" to indicate that a visitor has exited from our site without any active interaction whatsoever; an indication that the visitor didn't intend to be here or was in some way instantly repulsed by what they saw.

Workaround 1

Given the fact that each site is likely to have its own criteria for what may be considered a failed first impression, the best way to handle this is probably to create a javaScript function to fire a custom goal that is tailored to your needs and specifications.

Workaround 2

If you're simply interested in seeing the traditional Bounce, you can easily integrate Google Analytics with your Optimizely testing and see these data without adding Bounce as a de facto goal in Optimizely.

That said, the GA suggestion is intended as an interim solution for anyone who's already using Google Analytics or some other 3rd party tracking supplement. I realize this discussion is specifically about the Optimizely tool and suggestions to purchase additional products are not necessarily helpful. 

Level 7
by winterk80
‎10-01-2014 October 1, 2014

Agreed it would make many more experiments possible if we could track bounce rate.

Guys keep it simple so they can implement it. All this extra bounce pattern tracking and interaction tracking is nice but not unnessary at first. You gotta crawl before you can run. A bounce is a one page view and then leave. Optimizely if you're listening if you'd at least implement simple bounce tracking that would be a great start. The google workaround seems like a major hassle which is why we pay for optimizely, it's simplicity of use.... 

Level 1
by Chasmo
‎10-30-2014 October 30, 2014

Default Goal = Bounce rate.

Engagement would be better reconfigured as time on page. Again a metric you can easily pick up from GA if you're using seperate pages for your testing. But for single page testing of different elements ToP would be a more revealing stat representing 'engagement'.

This may be of more interest in the months to come as 'dwell time' is being thought to be an influential metric in rankings. (and thus creating a quandry for LP testers of getting users engaged, yet on to the next step in the funnel).

Level 1
by MarkusWilhelm
‎11-04-2014 November 4, 2014

+1 also from my side. would be great to not take the workaround via GA. its a crucial feature!

by Citrus-Lime
‎11-12-2014 November 12, 2014

I'd love to champion this idea. It's an important metric, especially on Ecommerce.

Ideally we'd be able to choose from;

1) An Enter-Exit Bounce (or true bounce);

Where a visitor lands on a page and leaves the site.

2) A Page Bounce (Typically just an exit);

Where a visitor lands from an internal link and leaves the site.

Level 1
by aplewes
‎04-23-2015 April 23, 2015

I love this idea, but could there be a setting in your account where you choose what the default goal for your account is? 

Level 2
by jordanf98765
‎05-05-2015 May 5, 2015

Making it the default is overkill imo. 

Can we first at least get a Bounce Rate goal as an option, before discussing whether to make all users change over to it in place of engagement? 

Engagement and Bounce Rate are both good goals, measuring different things. 

It'd be nice to even be able to use Bounce Rate at all. Thx

Level 1
by adetchells
‎08-24-2015 August 24, 2015

Any news here?

Level 1
by johnbr0
‎10-09-2015 October 9, 2015

Would love this!

/Web team at Spotify.

Level 1
by BradaMaxi
‎11-02-2015 November 2, 2015

It's sad that this idea and the Time on Page idea were posted 1 year ago but nothing has happened yet. The 3 most simple and fundamental metrics in GA are Bounce Rate, Session Duration (Time on Site) and Pages per session. I'd love to have any of them in Optimizely results. Let's vote for both of them guys!

Level 2
by kdawson
‎08-17-2016 August 17, 2016

Love this idea!

Level 1
by jaschwa
‎03-28-2017 March 28, 2017

+1

Level 1