Campaign segment should be switched to marketing channel results (swap utm_campaign to utm_medium)

by gmenefee ‎03-04-2015 March 4, 2015

Or at least have the ability to turn this off.  My 'campaign' list is littered with HUNDREDS of values and they aren't typically helpful as campaigns have really small data samples for us.

I would prefer if Optimizely uses the utm_medium paramater instead of tracking utm_campaign.  This way we're looking at marketing channel impact of a test, which matters b/c we can focus on segments with larger data pools.

campaigns.png
Level 2

Comments
by Optimizely
‎03-04-2015 March 4, 2015

Thanks for posting this idea. I did just want to make sure that you could always create a custom audience to capture the medium information and use that to segment your results page: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/203684114-Segment-your-results#custom. I realize this is slightly different than the product idea highlighted here to make this available by default, but I wanted to surface it just in case. 

Optimizely
by gmenefee
‎03-04-2015 March 4, 2015

Thanks for the reply Amanda.  

Yes this is true.  The idea here is not that I can't figure out a way to use custom segments to evaluate the performance of a particular marketing channel, but rather that the Campaign segment is useless to our organization and could be better appropriated by looking at marketing channels (utm_medium) instead.

Additionally, I would have to use up one of my allotted segments for EACH utm_medium value.  As we have several marketing channels, I wouldn't have enough spare segments to cover all marketing channels.  Replacing Campaigns (as it is a freebie for Enterprise customers) with Medium would allow us to keep our custom segment usage at a minimum. 

And lastly, it would be nice to at leat have the option to turn off Campaign segments, as it's just a litter of values that is not fun to scroll through in the Results page.

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎03-09-2015 March 9, 2015
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely