Color Consistency of Variations on Report Graphs

by MJBeisch Level 2 ‎10-16-2014 October 16, 2014

It would be nice if the colors assigned to variations were consistent between goals on the results page. Here are some screenshots of 2 different goals for an experiment, demonstrating the current inconsistency:

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.21.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 3.22.03 PM.png

On the first goal, the "Original" variation is orange, but on the second goal it is blue. These shots were taken after initial page load, no configuration changes or any other page manipulation was performed.

I could have sworn that these colors were consistent, but I had a client point this out to me today. Went back and looked at the result pages of several other experiments and sure enough, the colors change from goal to goal. I guess I never noticed it because I'm usually looking at the numbers and the order of the variations is consistent, but this does appear to cause some confusion when doing "at-a-glance" monitoring or if using screenshots of a goal graphs to assemble a report.

Level 2

Comments
by Eco
‎04-23-2014 April 23, 2014

Hi guys,

A new result page looks nice and more stylish for me. Good job but I have a request. I would like to change graph line colours.

One of my experiment shows 'Original with orange line' and 'Variation with blue line'. But other ones show opposite. The old result page alaways shows 'Original with gray' and 'Variation with blue'. So the new one confuses me.

Personally I'd like to set Variation 'blue' like the old one. And when I have more than 3 designs, would like to set colours as I like.

It sounds a tiny issue for many people but quite a big for me.

Thank you!

Eco

Eco
Level 1
by Optimizely
‎06-02-2014 June 2, 2014
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎11-20-2014 November 20, 2014
Status changed to: Working On It!

Optimizely
by Fergal
‎06-05-2015 June 5, 2015
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Product Manager
by cubelodyte
‎03-21-2016 March 21, 2016 - edited ‎03-21-2016 March 21, 2016

Can we change the status on this from "Gread Idea" to "Urgent"?

This has clearly been a problem for years.

We're using screen captures of the Results page for reporting to Stakeholders and the inconsistency makes presenting multiple experiment results very confusing when the baseline color randomly swaps from experiement to experiment.

Temporary Workaround:

I have found that if you change the Baseline (using the dropdown tool at the top of the page) to a variation and then back to Original, it will usually reset the colors so that Baseline is blue.

Switch Baseline

Level 6
by Optimizely
‎10-06-2016 October 6, 2016

This has been fixed in Optimizely X! In our new product, graphs for variations will match across metrics within the same page. Another great reason to give Optimizely X a shot! Check it out here: www.optimizely.com/x

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎10-06-2016 October 6, 2016
Status changed to: Done

Optimizely