Goal descriptions

by openjck ‎10-10-2014 October 10, 2014

For experiment results to be readable, goal names need to be short. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to describe a goal accurately in just a few words.

For example, I am currently setting up a goal that tracks wiki edit submissions, but only on certain pages. The name "Edit submission" is misleading, because not all submissions count. A longer, more descriptive goal name would be better, except that this would make the results page difficult to read—long names cannot be easily skimmed and when a goal name is long, scrollbars appear and part of the name is hidden.

An optional goal description would allow an experiment creator to share additional detail without hurting readability.

Level 2

Comments
by greg
‎10-29-2014 October 29, 2014

I've sent a few feedback messages with exactly this request. Some times the goals are nuanced and, as you said, you can't fit everything you need into the title.

If you're looking at results and want to see the exact definition of a goal, you currently have to go edit the experiment, then click on goals, then click "view" or "edit." That's three clicks... Plus the several more clicks to go back to the results page, by which time you'll hopefully not forget the goal details.

The "Audience" tab on the dashboard view solves this exact problem for audiences, so a similar "Goals" tab would be fantastic.

Level 2
by StefanF
‎04-02-2015 April 2, 2015 - edited ‎04-02-2015 April 2, 2015

In my point of view the goal description feature is very important (inside of the goal layer & not the description in the goal tab - nobody take a look at this area)!

Because very often it isn't possible to create a goal with a name where I can discripte every detail. For example a custom event that fires out when a overlay pops out after X secounds.

In the moment we solve this problem with an external goal documentation, but this couldn't be the best soultion for such a tool.

Level 3
by Fergal
‎06-05-2015 June 5, 2015
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Product Manager