Have the Save button better match when the variation is actually saved

by Brian_DeLoach ‎05-19-2014 May 19, 2014

When editing a variation's code and hitting Save it only takes a second or two for the Save button to transform from Saving to Saved. But the actual time it takes for the save process to complete and for the changes to show on the page can sometimes take much longer than that. When I first started using Optimizely this lead to a lot of frustration and unnecessary work. There were instances where I was trying to fix something and since the "fix" didn't show on the page after I saved my work I assumed my code must be wrong. Later after working with Optimizely's awesome support team I learned how to check in the Console to see if an experiment had finished saving. But for new users this who don't know this trick it can be a frustrating and confusing experience.

See the attached screenshot from just a moment ago where the experiment I saved required 57 attempts to complete the "saving" process even though the button indicated after only a second or two that the process had completed.

So this suggestion isn't really about fixing the platform so that saves take less time. I understand that sometimes it may take time for the process to complete. The suggestion is to provide a more accurate visual indicator in or around the Save button so it's clear when the process has completed.

As a side note, the fact that the biggest suggestion I have is around the timing of a Save interaction means that Optimizely is doing a thousand other things very well. Thanks for listening and keep up the great work. Smiley Happy

Comments
by Optimizely
‎06-03-2014 June 3, 2014
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎06-03-2014 June 3, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, Brian. Just to clarify, if we were to create messaging within the editor that communicates when the variation is actually live on your site and/or when you can start viewing the variation with a force parameter, would this be helpful to you?

Optimizely
by Brian_DeLoach
‎06-23-2014 June 23, 2014

Hi Amanda, sorry for the late response, I just noticed your question. Yes, messaging along those lines would definitely be helpful. Thanks!

by Optimizely
‎12-12-2014 December 12, 2014 - last edited on ‎12-12-2014 December 12, 2014 by Optimizely

@Brian_DeLoach We launched a small messaging change to assist with this.

When you first save an experiment, it will include the "Uplodaing to CDN" message:

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 11.50.41 AM.png

After the changes hit your site, the message will go away:

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 11.51.51 AM.png

Hope that helps and thanks for your feedback!

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎12-12-2014 December 12, 2014
Status changed to: Done

Optimizely
by Brian_DeLoach
‎12-16-2014 December 16, 2014

Hey jlin, that's a great solution. Thanks!

by Slavbass
‎01-25-2015 January 25, 2015

Hi Everyone,

I have a small problem, please help me.

I  hit the save button, the project is saved, the next day I made some more changes and hit save button one more time, but then I checked it all  in the preview mode, and do not like the result, want to get back to previous changes. I.e few days ago, few saves back?

Is it possible to undo changes, to the previous saves?

The button "undo" is not working.

How often I need to click save button? Sometimes I need two days to complete the new version of experiment, what should I do?

Thank you!

Level 1