0 Likes

Multiple CTAs that lead to the same pageview goal

by raviv ‎10-02-2014 October 2, 2014

Hi

As an Optimizely user, I have come across this situation where my page has two or more buttons (each button with a unique CTA)  to the same form and an ensuing common thank you page.

To track which CTA is sending the user to the thank you page (goal URL), currently, I have to set up custom event in a separate experiment that then pushes the result into my main experiment for the CTAs that caused the conversion.

As of now, in Optimizely, it is possible to select multiple buttons when settlng click goals.

Can this be extended to choosing multiple buttons that lead to the same thank you page with the ability to track which CTA produced the thank you goal?

Thanks

Ravi

Level 2

Comments
by Leanne
‎11-04-2014 November 4, 2014

@raviv - If am understanding your question, you actually can do this already. You can set up a Page View goal that captures total conversions. You can also set up a click goal for each of the buttons. On each of the click goals, you will just want to specifiy the URL where the CTA lives -- this will ensure it's tracked properly. 

Check out this article for more information: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200039905#redirect_goal_targeting

Can you let us know if this is what you're looking for? 

Level 2
by raviv
‎11-04-2014 November 4, 2014

Hi Leanne

Thanks for chiming in.

My situation is slightly different from what you have explained. I have two distinctly different CTAs living close to each other on the same URL. Both lead to a form which when filled lead to a thank you page.

The tricky part here is to know which of the two distinct CTAs led to the thank you page goal.

By having just the thank you pageview goal, you can measure total conversions but cannot distinguish between the CTAs that caused the goal.

Having button click goals gives you the number of times each CTA was clicked but cannot tell which one led to the goal.

This is why I chose the custom event method and a createcookie function to find out which CTA led to the goal.

Appreciate your help in responding to my suggestion.

Regards

Raviv

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎11-10-2014 November 10, 2014
Status changed to: Maybe One Day

Optimizely