Target Only Smart Phones and Exclude Tablets or Desktops

by gbesen ‎04-18-2014 April 18, 2014

Optimizely includes tablets within mobile devices, however if you check with google analytics you will see 3 types of devices which are desktop, tablet and mobile and there's areason for that. We can't target only mobile devices without doing extra work with optimizely and it's just a non-reliable workaround. This is a problem if you have a mobile first strategy like us. We start with the smallest screens, which are the smartphones and continue to grow to tablet and then finally desktop. How can I target these seperately. Currently we can't, but we should.

Level 2

Comments
by Optimizely
‎04-18-2014 April 18, 2014

When you say "How can I target these separately" what are "these"? If I'm reading your question correctly you want to target all mobile devices. If so, you can do this on the targeting options: http://cl.ly/image/2o2r0i0q033a

Optimizely
by gbesen
‎04-18-2014 April 18, 2014
"Any mobile browser" includes ipads, galaxy tabs and other talbet devices along with iphones, galaxy s3's, s4's etc. However we want to target only the smartpones Excluding tablets. If you check industry benchmarks smartphones have different behaviors and conversion rates, so it is critical to optimize for smartphones and tablets seperately. They are very different in nature.
Level 2
by SarahR
‎04-21-2014 April 21, 2014

What about targeting screen resolutions, similar to media queries?  So something like max & min # of pixels.  I'd totally use that.

Level 2
by siherron Level 2
‎04-24-2014 April 24, 2014 - edited ‎04-24-2014 April 24, 2014

I've done this by targeting screen size as SarahR indicated above. Here's the code I used to identify non-specific Mobile phones - it's a place to start:

"screen.width <= 480 && screen.height <= 320 || screen.width <= 320 && screen.height <= 480"

Obviously this sets a baseline that excludes phablets, however by manipulating the screen sizes you can bucket and target those devices separately - this is probably the simplest, lightest approach.

If you are integrating Optimizely with GA or Site Catalyst you can break the results data down further by device name to give you more granular information. 

Hope that helps or gives you a temporary start point.

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎06-02-2014 June 2, 2014
Status changed to: Great Idea!

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎02-23-2015 February 23, 2015
Status changed to: Done

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎02-23-2015 February 23, 2015

@gbesen - You can now target your experiment to specific browsers. Please check out our recent product annoucement here https://community.optimizely.com/t5/Product-What-s-New/Product-Updates-Small-updates-for-a-faster-mo...

You can also find some details in the developer documenation here: http://developers.optimizely.com/rest/conditions/ (check out the sections "Browser / Version", "Device", and "Platform / OS".)

Let me know if you have any questions on this. As for creating an audience based on specific screen resolutions, this is something we are still thinking about. 

Optimizely