0 Likes

The Anti-Goal

by George ‎08-20-2015 August 20, 2015

I believe that one of the core tenets of multivariate testing is to capture as much data as possible.

As a product owner who's constantly testing, I often track a variety of goals with each experiment. Many of the goals are based off of custom events and sometimes just plain click goals. Another thing I typically also add is the goal called "Engagement: The percentage of visitors who clicked on any part of the experiment page."

These are all great, but sometimes I'm testing a button on a page that has many other things on it (and could also be dynamic and personalized). What I want to know is what percentage of users clicked on something OTHER THAN the button I am optimizing, for each variation. That would provide me with extra validation to determine if a variation is succeeding or failing.

I could set up events for every other link or button on the page, but again, there can be quite a few and it could be dynamically generated and personalized. The built-in "Engagement" goal also does not work because that will include the people that clicked on the button I am trying to optimize.

It could be set up on a per goal basis (where for every goal, you can see the % of users who completed that goal, and then the % of users who did something else). Alternatively, it could be set up on a per experiment basis (where it would show the % of users who did anything besides any of the goals that were attached to the experiment). Or it could have both.

Having a so-called Anti-Goal would allow me to see how people are interacting with an experiment in ways that I did not expect or anticipate.

Level 2

Comments
by JDahlinANF
‎08-21-2015 August 21, 2015

@George,

Have you tried deriving the metric by Subtracting the users who clicked on the button from those who engaged on the page?

e.g.,

Engagement shows 1,000 clicks

Click Goal shows 300 clicks

Anti-Gial = 700 clicks

If instead you need an explicit metric, you (or maybe your developer) can create it for you using ":not" in your jQuery selectors.

e.g.,

If the selector for your click goal is like:

$('a.my-button');

Your selector for any <a> that is not "my button" would look like:

$('a:not(".my-button")';
Level 2