0 Likes

total conversions or visitors for a range of time

by emurphy ‎06-29-2016 June 29, 2016

The current results view can show graphs of several kinds of data.  I am interested in Unique Conversions and Visitors.  The charts shows the number of conversion or visitors at an instance in time.  The total number of conversions or visitors is then the area under this curve.  There is also a feature where the time range of the data can be selected by clicking and dragging horizontally in the chart to select a range (the zoom feature).  

So the feature I am interested in adding is the ability to get the absolute counts of conversions and/or visitors over a range of time.   So for instance, if I care about 9:00am to noon, I can easily get the number of Unique Conversions and the number of Visitors during that period of time.  The use case is that I would like to compare conversion counts and visitor counts against data in the database or omniture for the same time range while the test runs.  I basically want to spot check to see if my database and/or omniture and/or other data source agrees with the tests.

The only way to do this now that I know of is to get the nightly data available to enterprise customers and use that.  That is a heavy solution for a simple requirement.  Also, I can only get data for previous days, I can't look at data for this morning because the data is aggregated by day and written at midnight.

One way to provide absolute counts would be to add two new views to the results; Total Unique Conversions and Total Visitors.  These curves would start as zero when the test was launched and then go up to the right as conversions and visitors are registered.  With this feature, I could move my mouse on the chart to the start of the range I am interested in and hover over the chart to get my starting value for the range.  I would then do the same at the end of my range to get the ending value.  Very manual, but doable.  It would seem like the results page must already have the necessary underlying data available to it in order to show the Unique Conversions and Visitors views that it already shows.

Another way to handle this is to show the absolute numbers for whatever range is showing on the current Unique Conversions and Visitor views, perhaps in an box in the chart area, or perhaps by changing (or adding to) the data in the tables below the chart so that they correspond to the selected range.  This would work well since those tables already include absolute counts.  This may be a checkbox or pulldown to turn this feature on for the given table.

This kind of feature would help us understand if our tests are tracking as we expect by allowing us to spot check against other datasources while the test runs.

Thanks.

Level 2