Ask Me Anything: Questions about the new mobile expansion or pricing? Ask the Optimizely team.

by Optimizely ‎11-18-2014 November 18, 2014 - last edited on ‎11-24-2014 November 24, 2014 by Optimizely

Hi, I'm Suneet, and I'm the Senior Product Manager at Optimizely on the mobile team. Chris Tiutan (who will also be answering questions in this AMA) is Optimizely's Product Marketing Manager on the pricing team.

Today, we announced some big changes. We want to ensure your questions get answered, so we'll be online all day responding to your questions and discussing new opportunities.

The Live Q&A portion of this discussion is now over. Please just ask your question in the community and we'll be sure to get you an answer. 

• We announced our expansion to mobile apps to help you deliver connected experiences to customers, no matter where they are.
    • Optimizely’s iOS SDK is now generally available. With feedback from all of our beta customers we have added some exciting new features, including a code-free visual editor, advanced mobile-focused retention and revenue reports, and new mobile specific goal types.  Learn more here.
    • Optimizely’s Android SDK is currently in developer preview. 
  • You can now create and deliver connected experiences.
    • With our new Universal User ID you can easily build multichannel experiments and connect your customer’s experiences across their devices on web and mobile. Multichannel experiments is a new feature and is gradually being rolled out to our  Enterprise customers.  
  • We've also introduced a new pricing structure -- we are now offering a free Starter Plan, as well as a customizable Enterprise Plan.

Comments
by timray
‎11-18-2014 November 18, 2014

I have a silver package currently which has 20,000 subjects/month for $79. I see the new Starter package offers 50,000/month and is free.

We only really run a couple of experiments every month on our high-traffic site, so it seems like a no-brainer for me to downgrade to the new Starter package - is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎11-18-2014 November 18, 2014 - edited ‎11-18-2014 November 18, 2014

Hi Timray,

It really depends what you are looking to get out of an optimization platform. We wrote a KB article to cover the pros/cons of upgrading and downgrading. It can be found here: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200040055 . Take note, if you decide to leave one of our legacy plans (Bronze,Silver,Gold) you can no longer return to it. 

Best,

Chris

Optimizely
by timray

Thanks Chris,

Is there any KB article with a like-for-like breakdown of the features of the Starter package vs the old Bronze/Silver/Gold package so we can see the difference and work out if we should downgrade?

At the moment, it still seems like downgrading to a free package with 50,000 subjects is obviously better than paying $79/month for 20,000 subjects but there must be more to it than that.

Level 2
by justin

I'm in the same situation as @timray

A side-by-side feature/visitor breakdown of the new Starter package vs. Bronze/Silver/Gold would be super helpful in deciding which plan to continue with. The comparison doesn't need to be fancy, it could even just be a Google Spreadsheet.

Level 1
by greg

+1 to the comments above. I'm wondering the same thing and just submitted a support ticket before seeing this thread.

Seems like an obvious thing that would interest current users, so it's puzzling why there's no additional information on this. The linked KB article is very ambigous. For example, this reason to downgrade:

"You don’t need the full list of features."

It would be nice to know the difference in features before making an irreversible chage.

Along the same lines, for Gold accounts it's also unclear whether it makes sense to stick with the old plan or to call you about an Enterprise plan. Normally I would stick with the Gold plan because "Enterprise" sounds like it would be much more expensive, but given how backwards the Starter vs Silver comparison is, I wonder if some form of an Enterprise plan would end up being better value than the old Gold plan. And again, there is no way to compare the two...

Really wish there was more information shared about this to existing users, instead of quietly stashing it deep inside a feature update email.

Level 2
by justin

Agree with Greg.

It sounds like this is going to be a big win for everybody who was on the Bronze/Silver plans but it's hard to tell. It seems like there is a gotcha lurking in here somehwere since the price change was so under-the-radar.

Level 1
by yoiang

Hey Suneet!

Are there plans regarding expanding the Visual Editor on Mobile? If so can you elaborate on what they are?

Things that would be great to have:

• ability to browse view tree
  • expanded options for view changes
  • generated code snippets throughout process

Level 1
by Optimizely

Hi yoiang,

We definitely have more improvements coming to the visual editor and are considering the things you mentioned.

Can you tell us more about what you would like to see? Here are my follow up questions for you:

1) What's the main reason you would like the view tree?

2) What view changes would you like to see that are missing?

3) Can you tell me more about what you mean for generated code snippets?

Thanks for your feedback!

Suneet

Optimizely
by Optimizely
‎11-18-2014 November 18, 2014 - edited ‎11-18-2014 November 18, 2014

Thank you to everyone for their questions about how Bronze, Silver, and Gold compare to Optimizely’s new Starter plan. We just added a matrix to our knowledge base article with a breakdown of our previous plans versus the new Starter plan and the Enterprise plan.  We encourage you to research and select the plan that ensures you and your team are most successful with Optimizely.  Be aware that in most cases, downgrading may compromise  features that might be important to you and your team, access to support, and the level of monthly unique visitors.

View the Feature Matrix  

We introduced a robust free plan because we want to make A/B testing and optimization widely available so that any business can start seeing the benefits right away. We believe that this is a significant step in fulfilling our product vision of enabling the world to turn data into action.  

The features that we’ve chosen to include in our paid Enterprise plan are designated for businesses that have more expansive optimization needs, who want to do things such as  target experiences with more granularity, perform more advanced analysis on their results, or have access to more responsive support options. There’s a lot more flexibility within Enterprise than there was previously. We’re committed to continually reviewing the options we offer to make sure that our customers get the features and support that they need to be successful and experience the fundamental value  of Optimizely.

If you have any other questions or feedback about these new options, please let us know! We want to make sure we help you make the right decision about which Optimizely plan is the best for your business.

Optimizely
by brianlang
‎11-20-2014 November 20, 2014

On this: "With our new Universal User ID you can easily build multichannel experiments and connect your customer’s experiences across their devices on web and mobile"

Does this include device / session unification? Rather, if I have 5 sessions (as example) that look like this:

Visit 1 - Cookie 123

Visit 2 - Cookie 123

Visit 3 - Cookie 123 - Customer logs in,, enabling Universal User ID

Visit 4 - Cookie 456

Visit 5 - Cookie 456 - Customer logs in, enabling Universal User ID

For visits 1-3, they should have seen the same variation, since it's tracked to same cookie.... Visits 4-5 should share a consistent variation, but that might different than what was shown to that visitor under Visits 1-3... does the Universal User ID update the results page (given this example, knowing that one user in same experiment potentially was exposed to multiplate variations) to account for session unification?

Thanks!

Brian

Level 2
by Optimizely
‎11-21-2014 November 21, 2014

Hey Brian, thanks for your question!

Short answer: no, we are not doing session unification across anonymous/universal IDs. Right now, setting a Universal User ID causes that visitor to be counted as a second (new) visitor.

On web, we'll also rebucket that visitor into a different variation from what they saw in visits 1-3 (on iOS we can't due this yet for technical reasons, so only experiments for which that visitor hasn't yet been bucketed like new experiments or experiments targeted to ID'ed users will get bucketed consistently based on the ID).

Because of this, we recommend that if you're setting Universal User ID you target experiments only to those visitors/pages that have a Universal User ID set, thus avoiding any results confusion.

There's more information in our Help Center article here.

Let me know if this helps!

Yours,

Chrix Finne

Optimizely