Rich-text Reply

Can I run a test targeted to those visitors who entered a previous test?

linshasz06 04-27-16

Can I run a test targeted to those visitors who entered a previous test?

My client previously ran a banner ad testing a $50 off coupon, but now that has changed to just $25 off. She wants me to not include visitors who originally entered the first test and saw the $50 off. Can I do that? How?

Thanks!

MartijnSch 04-28-16

Re: Can I run a test targeted to those visitors who entered a previous test?

That is always possible, but in this case you'll need more information to see if you can identify that user again. Do you know if they came from a specific traffic source that you can easily identify or did you save something in a cookie for them?
JasonDahlin 04-28-16

Re: Can I run a test targeted to those visitors who entered a previous test?

As long as you have not archived the previous experiment, you can look in the cookie "optimizelyBuckets" for the previous experiment's variation id.

Are they are on the enterprise plan?

If yes... you can easily build an audience where "optimizelyBuckets does not contain 123456789" (the ID of the variation that displayed the $50 coupon)

If not... (unless someone can think of something else) you'll need to target all users, but can write code in your variation so that the page changes only for users who do not have "123456789" in their optimizelyBuckets cookie.

If the old experiment has been archived, then any user who has visited the site since it was archived will have had that experiment removed from their optimizelyBuckets cookie and you will not know that they were in the experiment.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero