Rich-text Reply

Can I test a horizontal filter bar vs a vertical one with optimizely?

BenMi 01-26-15

Can I test a horizontal filter bar vs a vertical one with optimizely?

Hi there! Smiley Happy 

I´m wondering if it´s possible to test a vertical filter bar vs a horizontal one - as it is a very important and very interactive element, i´m not sure if optimizely would do the trick here. 

Does anybody here have experience with it or knows if it´s possible at all to test such a setup with optimizely? How would such a test be realized?

Thank you very much in advance, I´m looking forward for your input! 

Level 1

greg 01-26-15

Re: Can I test a horizontal filter bar vs a vertical one with optimizely?

Can you explain what you mean? If you can show an example or some screenshots, it would help us provide a better answer.

If this is a design or layout change (and not a change in site functionality), then it's very likely that you can do it with Optimizely. It's difficult to suggest how a test like this can be set up without knowing more about what you have in mind.

You can create the experiment and either use the visual editor, or use the Edit Code screen if you're familiar with HTML and Javascript. This might be a good article to start with: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/200293489-10-Common-Experiments-and-how-to-build-them-

Level 2
Amanda 01-27-15

Hey there! Just as @greg mentioned, it would be helpful if you could post the URL and identify the element you are hoping to transform from veritcal to horizontal (or vice versa). Generally speaking, a vertical list can easily be turned into a horizontal list with CSS tweaks. I googled this article and it seems to provide a very generic example: http://www.templatemonster.com/help/htmlcss-how-to-create-vertical-and-horizontal-menu.html

Looking forward to hearing back from you on the details of your test! 

Optimizely
BenMi 02-03-15

Hi Amanda, Hi Grigory,

thank you very much for your replies! I didn´t get a notification about your answers, so sorry for my late feedback.

As we are still in a closed beta with our page, it´s kind of complicated to post a URL here Smiley Wink But it can be shown very easy by having a look @ ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html

Just imagine one wants to find out if the filters would perform better if placed horizontally (above the results) instead of vertically (I don´t know if "filter" is the correct wording here - what I mean is the "menu" at the very left, where you can adjust your search settings (less than 125,000 miles, fuel type etc).
Level 1
Junan 02-11-15

@BenMi This is something that you should be able to test out with Optimizely, it will just require some coding to create / design it to the way that you have in mind. With that in mind, the question is whether you write that code as jQuery to manipulate / reformat the existing vertical filter or you just code up the horizontal filter set directly into your page (but keep it hidden) and have Optimizely hide / show the vertical vs the horizontal filter based on whether you're in the Original or Variation. My recommendation would be to do the latter (implement directly on your page and have Optimizely show the horizontal) if you've got a lot of elements in the filter bar that need to be rearranged. Hope that helps!
Junan Pang
Optimizely