Rich-text Reply

Count the current number of customers viewing a page

sgibson 09-22-15

Count the current number of customers viewing a page

Hi All

i was wondering if someone could help me.

I want to test something similar to the attached where I would have the site display how many people are looking at this page or had viewed it in the last 24 hours 

Has anyone done this before? Is there any code examples I could use?

Many thanks 

Capture.PNG
Level 2

Mario 09-23-15

Re: Count the current number of customers viewing a page

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to Optiverse.

Do you already have such data available somewhere else on your website where you could fetch the information from or are you planning to build this feature from the scratch? Are there available APIs to other build in features of your CMS or any tracking tools?

Best,
Mario

Sr. Technical Support Engineer
EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
sgibson 09-23-15

Hi Mario

Thanks for getting in touch.

To be honest I wasn't sure of how to approach this.

Could it be done via an Optimizely cookie?  Or with data from Google analytics?

i was looking for a steer of how best to approach this

Many Thanks

Stephen

Level 2
Mario 09-28-15

Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately Optimizely is not designed for this purpose. You can of course use the build in editor to add diverse code to your page and manipulate the DOM. I just googled and found e.g. following tutorial https://www.gosquared.com/blog/visitors-currently-on-this-page

However, I'm wondering if it would be easier to just simulate and display a random 'viewers' number (POC/Mockup) to see if such a feature actually helps to increase conversions before actually do real coding.

Best,
Mario
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
EMEA | Amsterdam
Optimizely
sgibson 09-28-15

Hi Mario

I will look into this further.

With our site given that each used car is unique I would test whether adding this increasing leads for that particular car as customers could lose out on that car

However I agree it would be worth a POC before comitting resources to building this code.

Thanks for your help I just wanted to make sure this could be served within Optimizely

Level 2
jamesgill 10-15-15

Hi everyone! I'm one of the founders of GoSquared (Mario mentioned our blog post on showing no. of visitors on a page).

We have a bunch of customers who have implemented this code, very happy to walk you through how to implement it if you want a hand! I'm james at gosquared dot com if you'd like to chat.