Rich-text Reply

Creating messaging for new users segment. Have you tested that?

JohnH 03-31-15

Creating messaging for new users segment. Have you tested that?

I was wondering if anyone has seen any testing successes from creating specific messaging that is unique to a new visitor? My hypothesis is that new visitors need some additional context as to what the site is about whereas returning visitors already have context and we'd be best directing them into the funnel. 

Has anyone ran a test or found data related to my above theory? I'd love to hear from you

Level 2

Re: Creating messaging for new users segment. Have you tested that?

HI @JohnH,

This is a great testing idea and one we actually do see many Optimizely customers execute.

We wholeheartedly agree that a new visitor to your site needs to be treated differently than a returning or loyal customer.  Mechanically, you can certainly use cookies or page-level variables to identify and target these new visitors.  But, we find great value in ascertaining the intent of the visitor's journey to and through your site.

• What was their source - search or referral?
  • How long do they spend on the site/how many pages do they view?
  • What pages do they view, and do these indicate general browsing or evaluating a specific product/offering?

Many of our customers test special incentives or short-term deals for new customers to heighten the urgency of the first conversion and promote the strongest value props of the site.  Over time, cross-sell and up-sell opportunities, product recommendations, social validation, and highlighting new or test features become valuable for returning customers.

What customers in our Community can share specific results from tests like these they've run?

Harrison Krat
Solutions Architect | Optimizely, Inc.
harrison@optimizely.com

Ah - Re: Creating messaging for new users segment. Have you tested that?

[ Edited ]

Following this thread as this is very similar to a project I have on my own list.

Edit: just seen the post is from March. 

John, did you manage to execute this test?