Rich-text Reply

Email Lightbox - Not so annoying?

MeganBush 06-10-14

Email Lightbox - Not so annoying?

We've been running email lightbox tests for several of our clients lately, and finding fairly consistent results that the lightboxes have little to no affect on conversion rate, while they result in large increases in email signups. 

Is anyone else running tests of this type? What results are you seeing?

Megan Bush
adzeds 06-10-14

Re: Email Lightbox - Not so annoying?

Hi Megan,

We have run and are currently running tests of this type and are finding similar results.

We are testing using an 'active' signup process where at certain points in our journey we ask people to subscribe, rather than just having 'passive' signup boxes on the site.

We are finding that we are getting 700%+ increases in email signups and also a slight increase in conversion rate as we can remove the signup forms from our pages and replace it with more effective content with regards to driving conversions.
David Shaw
Level 11
MeganBush 06-11-14

That's great! Those scenarios will definitely be included in some follow-up tests.

We've even found in some cases customers who see the email light box have a higher RPV than those who don't. Very surprising for our internal team who finds them annoying, but possibly an argument for "self-consistency" in customers, suggesting that customers who interact on a small scale (email signup) are more likely to interact on a large scale (revenue).

Thanks for sharing!

Megan Bush
lmugglebee 06-11-14

Hi Adzeds, thanks for this - incredible results. I would like to try this and am wondering if you are willing to share the basics of how you set this up, how you decided who to target and where in the journey you have had the most success.
Sr Product Manager - OpenTable
adzeds 06-12-14

@Megan - The RPV increase is most likely due to the consistency principle. Once people have made a small interaction with your website they are more likely to perform a larger one at a later point. So getting some interaction with a visitor as early as possible will do wonders for your conversion rate... You can read some of my points on Consistency here: http://davidshawblog.com/2013/05/26/part-two-6-principles-of-persuasion-commitment/

@lmugglebee - Happy to share some my experiences with you. Just need to check what details I can give out. Might have to message you privately.
David Shaw
Level 11