Rich-text Reply

Emotions vs money - the 21DIAMONDS case

zemaniac 04-29-14

Emotions vs money - the 21DIAMONDS case

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody,

We at 21DIAMONDS (fine and customizable jewelry e-commerce) have just started using Optimizely but we are already learning our first lessons. As perfect A/B noobies, we went for a very straight test at the beginning, comparing three different banners on the homepage. The position of these banners was not the most prominent one, but still big enough to measure some sort of significant impact on clicks and sales.

Baseline: original banner about finding an "Anniversary gift" --> http://tinypic.com/r/73gn5v/8

Emotional variation: One product banner with an emotional headline: With this ring, she's going to say "Yes!" --> http://tinypic.com/r/250ou8h/8

Rush/Money variation: One product banner (same as above) with headline: 25€ discount in April only --> http://tinypic.com/r/2s91wna/8

The Emotional variation was also showing the discount informations, but not in the headline.

The outcome: The Money-focused banner was getting almost the double number of clicks with respect to each of the other two variations, with also an increase in sales. People are still moved by money first, even when buying something for people they love.

Lesson learned, now we'll move forward with further testing!

Alessio Romito
Project Manager at 21DIAMONDS GmbH
Level 2

HeatherW 04-29-14

Re: Emotions vs money - the 21DIAMONDS case

Wow! I thought that an emotional message would have done better over just the offer. Very interesting. Do you have any screenshots?
Optimizely
zemaniac 04-30-14

I edited the post with screenshots of the three variations Smiley Happy
Alessio Romito
Level 2
Pedro 04-30-14

Amazing to read about your first results Alessio! Keep on testing Smiley Happy!

There are only two mistakes
one can make along the road to truth:
not going all the way,
and not starting.
- Buddha
Optimizely
tobyurff 05-01-14

That‘s a great experiment and the results are surprising. Never ceases to amaze me how important it is to challenge initial assumptions. I would have expected the emotional variation to win.
Optimizely
adzeds 05-20-14

I would suggest that the Rush/Money variation had double the value compared to the other variations which is why I would have picked that as the winner.

- The discount available provides more value than available in the other variations
- The fact that it is a limited time deal increases the scarcity which in turn will make the initial discount appear more valuable.

Don't forget that at its core conversion optimization is a case of turning the balance between perceived value and cost. If you can make something (product/offer/deal) appear to offer more value then you are likely to tip the balance towards conversion a lot quicker.

'Conversion' happens when (Perceived Value >= Cost)
David Shaw
Level 11
zemaniac 05-20-14

Thank you for your comment adzeds. That's definitely a useful insight!
Alessio Romito
Level 2
adzeds 05-20-14

Alessio,

Having scanned the screenshots for a second time, I have noticed a possible follow-up test.

The call to action on the banner does not contrast well with the background image. You should try a couple of variations where the CTA stands out clearer on the image and see if that can give you a further boost.

I would also look to try the emotional messaging again but this time have a picture of a woman smiling with a ring on her finger. This would get your potential visitors visualizing their end goal/intent.

Just a couple of points I thought might be interesting.
David Shaw
Level 11
zemaniac 05-20-14

I see. We went for the same background to test only the CTA. But it would be interesting to repeat the test with the "woman" banner as you just wrote.

Right now we want to do some more aggressive testing on the layout of some pages. As soon as we find what works best, we will switch back to content-related testing. But thank you again! I'll make sure to post here my findings.
Alessio Romito
Level 2