Rich-text Reply

Getting your company excited about testing?

JohnH 06-16-15

Getting your company excited about testing?

I am wondering how all of you get your organization excited about running experiments and investd in testing? I have a few ideas like getting people to vote on which test won and sharing results in a monthly email, but I'd love to know what tactics have worked best for all of you? What has "stuck" the most? 

Level 2

MartijnSch 06-16-15

Re: Getting your company excited about testing?

We always try to convince people just to test the changes that they want to make. It's very easy to come up with changes that you want to make, but as you have a lot of traffic and we're mostly focused on engagement it could have a lot of impact. That's what makes it easier also for our team to have the rest of the company involved and getting them excited about it.

Next to that do we share with the whole company (via Slack) when we start running tests and when they're finished and analysed to make sure they also hear about the results of their own tests. In most cases if somebody brought up a test we'll also talk to them and if their variant was successful we'll obviously implement it and continue with testing based on their ideas.

We've come a long way as an organization when it comes to cultivating a testing culture. Some of the tactics we use include:
1. Monthly updates with a pertinent group of stakeholders - this not only keeps them in the loop and puts our successes front and center, but it allows us to collaborate and have them invested in the process
2. Quarterly updates with a larger group, including members of executive management - they are able to see what types of things we're doing and what's available to them and their teams
3. Best practices documentation - we publish documentation that highlights our successes and things we've learned, to share with various teams. At the bottom of every one of these docs we have a call to action to contact us so we can help, with a link to our email.

I would also say to find advocates across the organization - people whom your work can impact and who will keep it top of mind when they are interacting with others. The more people who are excited about what you do and the possibilities, the better. If you feel like you can help someone look good (whatever that means, the performance metrics being different for each person or group), reach out to them and initiate a project. There's nothing like success to start a trend. Smiley Happy
Renée Thompson
Case 06-16-15

Thanks for starting the conversation on this topic, John.

For us here at Rocket Lawyer, by far the most impactful method for growing testing interest within the organization has been setting up a flat screen TV near our team's island of desks. On the TV we have a rotating slide show of GA Real-time stats, live experiment results, and upcoming experiment results.

People (including executives) often stop and look to see what we have going on, and then provide ideas and feedback.

We saw an immediate impact with the popularity of our program within the organization, and the interest has sustained itself.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Case
Level 2
Pauline 06-16-15

Hi Johnh,

Here are a few things that worked well at Hotwire:
- An optimization guru. Having someone to embody optimization and promote it through the company was key and had a big cultural impact.
- Lunch & Learns: Explain that optimization is not random ideas tested on the website helped tremendously to be taken more seriously. I explained our structure, process, prioritization, analytics best practices, etc. It was very interactive and I had tons of questions.
- Company demos with WOW tests. I can't demo everything so i choose the tests with the highest impact. The optimization team usually gets a round of applause (good for visibility and moral of the troops)
- Bi-weekly email with highlights, results and new tests (I also celebrate winners as much as losers)
- Company challenge to submit ideas (we got more than 200 ideas from this challenge)
Product Manager
Level 2