Rich-text Reply

Has anyone tried optimizing product pages to highlight social proof?

Amanda 07-11-14

Has anyone tried optimizing product pages to highlight social proof?

Amazon does product reviews extremely well. Product ratings show up very clearly right under the product title. As you scroll down the page, there is an entire section dedicated to reviews. 

Social proof is a powerful persuasion tactic. Has anyone tried testing adding or emphasizing social proof from the product pages? 

Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 12.51.58 PM.png

Optimizely

Re: Has anyone tried optimizing product pages to highlight social proof?

So, I am firm believer in "social proof" and I have tested this in a lot of different ways. Every single time that I test "social proof" and put visual priority around it ... it wins.

The last "social proof" test that I experimented with was showing reviews that a product has within the category product grid and then also reviews on the product page. (See Screenshots)

We tested this to see if it drove more conversions before we invested time, money and resources in building out a review feature for the website.

Product Reviews in the Grid

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 1.41.44 PM.JPG

Product Review on the Product Page (2 places within the UI)

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 1.41.56 PM.JPG

The Results:

(43,127 people were ran throught the test)

Engagement +0.8%

Viewed a Product Page +1.8%

Total Revenue +3.8%

Viewed the Cart Page +5.0%

** Clicked a product in the grid that had a review +7.3% - 65% to beat baseline (this did not reach significance)

Amanda 08-07-14

This is a really incredible story and an awesome example of how you can use A/B testing to confirm or disprove hypotheses before jumping in and "just doing it." @Cara you should check this out too Smiley Happy

Are you planning to continue running this test until it reaches significance? Or, are there other tests you ran in the past where it reached significance? 

Optimizely
baartek 07-16-15

Hi,

We did something similar in marketplace. We had had a rating system for seller and buyer, but there was very little rates, so we decided to remove it becouse of development&maintance costs. After all customers started complaining that they don't know who is thrustworthy. So we brought rating system back but in much better form. We didn't do a/b testing becouse there was too clear feedback.

I found myself how important is even the simplest social proof on landing pages. I don't use software when on their website there is no well-known logos.
Level 2