Rich-text Reply

Load Test to Change Copy with Query Specific URL Landing Page

tsawrie 01-14-16

Load Test to Change Copy with Query Specific URL Landing Page

We run a lot of Adwords campaigns that are targeted at different cities. In each campaign we have it set up so that when someone uses a keyword with a city name, we load that city name onto the website text.

For example, if someone lands on our page with this URL - (mysite.com/landingpage/?kw=los+angeles+homes) they will see the landing page with Los Angeles in the H1 on the page.

I want to run a test with one variation keeping the city name, and the other variation without the city name, so we can run a test and see if the city names are making a difference.

I'm unable to make this test work so far. I've tried setting this up with our staging environment, and I've also tried setting it up so that the audience target is shown only to people that land with "kw contains los+angeles".

Level 2

Amanda 01-14-16

Re: Load Test to Change Copy with Query Specific URL Landing Page

This is a great test idea! A few questions for you:
1) How many cities are you doing this for? Are you planning to know which cities you'll personalize for, or do you just want to strip the city name from the URL and dynamically add to the page?

2) Can you explain what is not working? Are you not seeing the city show up? Or is the experiment just not running in your tests?

Looking forward to hearing more details so we can get this sorted out for you.

Here's a Knowledge Base article that should help: https://help.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/201231534-Optimize-based-on-SEM-Google-Adwords-and-que...

You might find this blog post interesting too: https://blog.optimizely.com/2014/09/04/symmetry-in-online-marketing/
Optimizely
tsawrie 01-15-16

[ Edited ]

1.) I would like to just test it for 2-3 cities first. And each city can be it's own experiment. I just want to know in general if hyperlocal language converts better than generic language for us. The URL doesn't matter, and we want to keep it the same in fact because we want to keep tracking the keywords people use to land on our page.

2.) I tried loading the experiment in two different ways.

First, I tried loading the page with the query parameter (mysite.com/landingpage?kw=los+angeles). At first the editor loaded the page without the hyperlocal language that is normally displayed. Then I clicked on "load unsafe script", and it displayed the wording that we use, but the rest of the page was broken (buttons were off place, styling was wrong, etc).

Then, I tried to run the generic landing page without a query parameter on the URL, but used an audience target setting where the rules were to display it to audiences that land on our page with a query parameter of "kw (contains) los+angeles". In the editor I then made the original variation have just generic language, and the other variation contain hyperlocal language.

I launched that project on our staging environment, and I wasn't able to get the experiment to load. I typed in "optimizely.activeExperiment" in the console and it didn't show the experiment. However, I was able to load the experiment by using the force parameters.

I'm scratching my head, but glad to try and figure it out... Smiley Happy

Level 2
JDahlinANF 01-15-16

[ Edited ]

Regarding broken images and stuff - Optimizely experiments are under https, I suspect your URL is http, causing a conflict

or, your URL may be https in the editor but the page itself is loading them as http

or, your site uses some other non-obvious means of determining pathing causing it to break when it is contained in an iFrame

Regarding the experiment not working in your staging environment

1- make a note of your experiment id number

2- in your browser's console, run 

optimizely.push('log')

3- locate the log lines for your experiment id - you will see 3-4 lines of messages.  The last message will tell you why you failed the experiment (di dnot pass audience targeting, did not pass url targeting, etc.)

Amanda 01-15-16

@tsawrie - were you able to figure it out? I just took a look at your experiment and the previews seem to be working correctly. I also got the site to load correctly, so it's odd that you are not. I was using Chrome, what about you?

@nap0leon 's suggestion of using the console and then looking for the log line with you experiment ID is a good one. It will tell you why you are not seeing your experiment, for example did not meet URL targeting condition or something like that. I'd recommend trying this first. 

Would you be able to share the staging URL where you are testing this?  I'd be happy to take a look at it.  If you don't want to share, no problem. I can open a support ticket for you

Optimizely
tsawrie 01-15-16

I ran the console input @nap0leon suggested on our staging environment. I was able to see that the audience targeting wasn't registering.

"Failed to match any audiences"

Right now I have the audience settings to be (kw contains los+angeles). Should I change it to equals or matches instead? I chose contains because the url could be a number of things like kw=los+angeles+realtors or kw=real+estate+agents+los+angeles 

I've tried to find documentation about different settings for the query parameter audience targeting.

Level 2
JDahlinANF 01-15-16

I suspect that the "+" is the issue.

Since URL parameters are always supposed to be URLencoded, I suspect it is being decoded before being evaluated.

Try "los angeles" (space instead of +)

tsawrie 01-15-16

@nap0leon thanks for that. That solved the issue with the audience targeting. The console is telling me that the experiment is running, and the audience was identified.

However, I'm still having an issue with the variations running. I can't get the non-local language variation to run. I've opened up many private browsers, as well as using Browser Stack. Perhaps our backend is overriding the experiment? I'm not strong enough with the force yet to figure that one out Smiley Happy

I think I need a support ticket filed at this point, @Amanda 

Level 2
Amanda 01-15-16

Yes, it sounds like a timing issue. I filed a ticket for you. It would be great if you could follow up here with the solution that ends up working for you on that piece.
Optimizely