Rich-text Reply

Surprise - Its not a ticket!

Experimentalist 07-25-14

Surprise - Its not a ticket!

[ Edited ]

Surprise!

Ah, what a feeling.  When everything you think you know is flipped upside down for an instant.  Personally, I love it - my hunch is that many of you love it too. Thats what makes our world of experimentation so exciting.  While we enjoy your stories in a fun Optiverse contest all about sharing surprising experiment results, I figured I’d hop in and share a story from my experimental world.

Back in February, I executed on an experience optimization campaign for Valentines Day, in which I canvassed several San Francisco neighborhoods with fake parking tickets that turned out to be Valentines. Each Valentine had the same url at the bottom, and I hosted a landing page with the ultimate goal of capturing survey data around how people felt about the fake parking ticket.  

I wrote a longer post about the experiment itself for any of those interested the gruesome details, but for the sake of overview, below is an image that illustrates the conversion funnel:

Valenticket_Results_Overview.png

One of the aims of this experiment was to better understand the relationship between expectation, emotion, and action.  In this case, I attempted to influence expectation and emotion through the use of taking a common, negative situation (getting a parking ticket) and turning it into a feel good moment (getting a valentine).  My goal was to create a higher delta between the lowest emotional moment and the highest emotional moment via creating a false expectation.  I was confident that this could be achieved, but where I ended up being surprised was on the third item of interest, the action.

The experiment needed to create a compelling event strong enough to drive someone to go from an analog interaction to a digital experience.  I thought it unlikely that very many people would do this.

Much to my surprise, I was impressed to watch the survey responses flood in at an incredible conversion rate of 12.25%, which vastly exceeded my ballpark guess of 5% response rate.

This was a very high friction funnel, which many of us aim to avoid.  However, there are marketing channels that are simply high friction and I’d argue that the best experiences are not created by ignoring channels your customers are going to see. Rather, as a takeaway, I have become more keenly aware of the possibilities of utilizing expectation and emotion as a means for reducing the friction within these channels.

Don’t forget to share your surprising stories here for your chance to to win an Apple TV.

Amanda 07-28-14

Re: Surprise - Its not a ticket!

This is so interesting!  @CK-Matthew and @trangm both discussed adding friction to the user flow in their surprising test results as well. To your point, many of us try to avoid high friction, but there are often instances where layering additional steps is far from detrimental. Emotional engagement is equally as important when the user intereacts with a brand. 

Has anyone else seen a similar result from layering emotion into seemingly difficult user flows?

Optimizely