Rich-text Reply

Testing my purchase pathway, am I doing it right?

daveyperks 03-31-16
Accepted Solution

Testing my purchase pathway, am I doing it right?

[ Edited ]

I am trying to do some testing on the purchase pathway of my website. I am starting out by doing the test we all do intially, to see if we can increase CTR and CRO by removing the main navigation from the entire pathway and monitering if this increases the conversion rate.

I've set it up by logging into an account and placing something in my basket, then URL targetting my basket with a substring match. I am monitering engagement, but my primary goal is to see if the purchase pathway is completed. I am monitering this goal using a substring match to see how many people get to the final page in the pathway (my 'Thank you' page). 

Is this the best way to be testing this? Or should I be using multi-page funnel testing? Any help/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David 

JasonDahlin 03-31-16

Re: Testing my purchase pathway, am I doing it right?

@daveyperks - This sounds correct.

To recap to make sure I have it right:

1- The experiment targets all pages where you are removing the main navigation in the checkout funnel (in hopes that removing those links decreases abandonment)

2- You have a page-view goal that matches your Thank You page

That is all you need!

Presuming you have a multi-step purchase funnel, you may want to add page-view goals for each step in your funnel (e.g., Shopping Cart, Shipping Info, Payment Info, Thank You).  These will come in handy later and may also give insights on click-through rates from page 1 to page 2 (that may show up in the overall purchases goal)

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero
daveyperks 03-31-16

So what I did was remove the main nav on the initial basket page, and set up the URL targeting with a substring match.

My goal measures the percentage of visitors who visited the Thank You page (with a substring match).

Is the best way to set up page-view goals to do so in the same way as I already have for my Thank You page?

Thanks
JasonDahlin 03-31-16

@daveyperks - Yes.  Presuming that each step of your funnel has a unique URL path, substring match is the easiest way to create PageView goals.

--Jason Dahlin
Analytics and Testing Guru Smiley Happy
Experimentation Hero